VS 2017 Debugger from c# Solution "The X# runtime is NOT loaded"

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
HansjoergP

Re: VS 2017 Debugger from c# Solution "The X# runtime is NOT loaded"

Post by HansjoergP »

If possible, the best solution is 4). Which drivers you need?

Hansjörg
robert

Post by robert »

Dick,
Maybe some extra clarification:
The "AnyCPU" in the top toolbar is the name of the current platform for the solution as a whole.
The "Debug" and "Release" are called Configurations.

Inside a project file you will see sections like the following:

Code: Select all

<PropertyGroup Condition="'$(Configuration)|$(Platform)' == 'Debug|AnyCPU'">
  <PlatformTarget>x86</PlatformTarget>
</PropertyGroup>
During the build process the values for the properties "Configuration" and "Platform" will be passed to MsBuild by the VS IDE.
They will contain the current selected values from the toolbar inside VS.

Only when you do a Batch Build then you can tell VS to build for more than one combination of these 2 values.
In that case the same project will be built with each of the selected configurations.

The AnyCpu on the Build page is called the PlatFormTarget, this represents the actual setting that is passed to the compiler. This matches the <PlatformTarget> in the projectfile.

A solution can have more than one configuration. These were meant for languages such as C++ where you would have different options for compiling to x86 and x64.
If your solution contains only x86 projects then I would rename the solution platform to x86. Renaming Configurations and Platforms can be done from the Configuration Manager in the VS Build Menu.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Hansjörg,

Thanks for your reply.
HansjoergP wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:54 am If possible, the best solution is 4). Which drivers you need?
None specific, that I know of. I read somewhere that this could be a problem, drivers being present in a client's system for 32 bits programs but not for 64 bit programs. AnyCPU would make the program run as 64 bits and then it could fail, maybe because of a printer driver missing for 64 bit? The point is: I don't know!

If I would select AnyCPU I understand I can use Winforms in VS2022, right? I probably just should give it a try and if it fails somewhere go back to an x86 generated version. If it doesn't, I can start considering to install VS2022.

Dick
HansjoergP

Post by HansjoergP »

Hello Dick,
Winforms with AnyCPU is working fine. There is only a problem with x86 in combination with VS and 32bit.
Normally drivers make only a problem if you use them in your program. One thing can be if you use e.g. an database driver which you have to install so that your program is working. If you use an managed .net driver (you need only to reference it in VS) than you don't have any problem...