Search found 12 matches

by robert.pope
Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:59 pm
Forum: VO & Vulcan
Topic: VO + C# DLL with both connecting to ADS
Replies: 4
Views: 1589

VO + C# DLL with both connecting to ADS

<t>For anyone with this problem in future, just add Pooling = False to your provider connection string.<br/> <br/> Mine now looks like this: connectionString="metadata=xxx.csdl|xxx.ssdl|xxx.msl; provider = Advantage.Data.Provider; provider connection string= 'Data Source=.; CharType = ADS_OEM; DbfsU...
by robert.pope
Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:56 pm

<t>Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking too. The confusing part was that for entity framework, I don't have any code to open / close the connection. The provider (??) does all that for me.<br/> <br/> I just figured it out though. It had to do with the connection pooling feature in ADS. I've now t...
by robert.pope
Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:54 pm

It looks like disabling connection pooling was the solution to my problem. Leaving this here for anyone else who might have this problem in the future.

My app.config was being overwritten by another file with the same name later on, so it looked like it wasn't working :(
by robert.pope
Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:46 pm

<r>This is probably a bit of a long shot asking here, but I'll take my chances...<br/> <br/> I'm running a VO application that imports some C# code via DLL. Both VO and C# are opening a connection to the same database in ADS (free tables / no data dictionary). VO is using DbServer classes and C# is ...
by robert.pope
Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:33 pm
Topic: How does VO do MDI?
Replies: 7
Views: 2282

How does VO do MDI?

<t>Thank you both for answering. That does make sense.<br/> <br/> Is the same true for windows shown via non-VO DLL code? Assuming they don't go out of their way to create new threads. For example, in the past I've fixed a bug where some VO code was calling a 3rd party window, and then the VO code w...
by robert.pope
Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:33 pm

How does VO do MDI?

<t>Hi,<br/> <br/> So if I have a VO program with two modeless windows and if on one window I Sleep(1000000) (i.e. put it into a blocked state for a long time), I assume the code on the other window continues to run fine. Is it using some kind of time slicing within the VO runtime to make that happen...
by robert.pope
Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:41 pm

How does VO do MDI?

<t>I'm curious how VO handles having multiple modeless dialogs open at the same time.<br/> <br/> The classic advice seems to be that the VO garbage collector is not thread safe. So I'll assume that it isn't multi threaded. If this is the case, I'm just wondering how VO pulls off multiple windows run...
by robert.pope
Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:13 am
Topic: Assembly in VO
Views: 1843

Assembly in VO

<r>Hi Wolfgang.<br/> <br/> I need it to work the other way around. I'm planning to write a DLL in C++ or some other language to be able to perform arithmetic on 64bit numbers while in a 32 bit world. The C++ runtime apparently supports that. VO will call the DLL to perform any operations on the 64bi...
by robert.pope
Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:04 am
Topic: Assembly in VO
Views: 1843

Assembly in VO

<r>Probably a crazy question, in an area where I have no experience, but I figure I'll ask anyway...<br/> <br/> Is there any way to write snippets of assembly in VO? <br/> <br/> I need to do a bit of 64 bit arithmetic on some FILETIME structures (<URL url="https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wi...
by robert.pope
Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:23 pm
Topic: CreateThread() vs. CreateVOThread()
Replies: 5
Views: 1736

CreateThread() vs. CreateVOThread()

Thanks.

The code I wrote had already shipped in our production release and will only be used briefly for debugging purposes. It won't be left on for too long. :)