You need a specific landing page for FoxPro...

Have some feedback and input to share?
Don't be shy and drop us a note. We want to hear from you and strive to make our site better and more user friendly for our guests and members a like.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Y'all need to create a specific landing page dedicated to X# and FoxPro. Presently, if a FoxPro user hears that X# has some VFP potential in the future and they come here to check it out, they are overwhelmed with too much information about X# and it's past with Vulcan and VO, and blah, blah.

You need a very single entry point into you site content that is related to VFP. This would show the community that they indeed have s dedicated space in this X# world.

You should even make a dedicated Forum section where people can post.

https://www.xsharp.eu/FoxPro

or

https://foxpro.xsharp.eu/
Chris

Post by Chris »

I think you are right, but problem is we do not have much VFP specific to show right now :)

We'll definitely do that in the future though, for VFP and other xBase dialects.
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
lumberjack

Post by lumberjack »

Hi Chris,
Give me a week or two and hopefully I will have gathered enough knowledge about VFP syntax differences and maybe do an article about those that I have found to date. Busy viewing/converting some 35000 lines of code from VFP into X# syntax.
HTH,
robert

Post by robert »

Matt,
A separate landing page and forum can create expectations that we can't meet yet.
Please give us a few months to add the FoxPro specific language support to the product,
Most of what FoxPro people need is already there, but some of the things I'd like to add are:
- DEFINE CLASS syntax like in FoxPro
- '=' sign for assignments
- LPARAMETERS statement
- Allow source code outside of function/procedure, which will get the function name based on the PRG file
- ENDFUNC, ENDPROC, ENDFOR (as alias for NEXT)
- Extend the DBF driver with support for some of the FoxPro field types that we don't use on our side of the Xbase spectrum (AutoInc, Integer, Datetime, etc) and maybe also DBC support.

Most of the DBF related commands (APPEND BLANK, SKIP, SCAN .. ENDSCAN) can be implemented with user defined commands and our preprocessor and mapped to the functions that we already have

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
FoxProMatt

Post by FoxProMatt »

You home page says:

"X# is an open source development language for .NET, based on the xBase language. It comes in different flavours, such as Core, Visual Objects, Vulcan.NET, xBase++, Harbour, Foxpro and more. X# has been built on top of Roslyn, the open source architecture behind the current Microsoft C# and Microsoft Visual Basic compilers."

It already mentions FoxPro, like it is here already....
robert

Post by robert »

Matt,

Yes it does say that. It was meant more like a promise, or a road map.
The text does not say that it is all ready yet.
Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu