The X# road to success - Good newbie read (and for the not so new lurkers too)

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
lumberjack

Post by lumberjack »

Hi all,
Well not sure who of the old heads actually follow XSharp on twitter, but for newbies I think it might be a good start to read all the tweets since the project was announced. I think it speaks for itself about the commitment of the remarkable job that Robert and the team has done:

https://twitter.com/xBaseNet

Well done guys, you rock!
Terry

Post by Terry »

Johan

Sorry, I can't agrre with that advice.

Even over the few years we have had XSharp there numerous tweets that a newcomer would have to wade through.

If it were me tackling things for the first time I would find the whole thing daunting and get out quick.

What IMO, was never appreciated in the past (Vulcan etc) was the value of the NG (Forum) itself.

My advice to any newcomer is: "Just Shout and Ask".

There are many here, with all levels of programming experience and backgrounds who well remember their earlier steps up the learning curve.

They are only too willing to help.

All I would advise is that areas of help can be categorised. There is help with actual code. Thus those who actually use XSharp for their projects are best equipped to offer advice.

There are others, who, like me have not used XSharp in earnest, but started off with other things (VO/CULE Chris? if you're reading this) and feel reasonably well placed to help with understanding it all.

Understanding it, is different. Each and everyone of us understands things in a different way. My background, for example is electronics. There are things I could explain to another electronics engineer which would make complete sense. And easily.

Try the same thing, in the same way, with a neuro-surgeon and we'd both end up in a muddle of confusion.

So newcomers need to introduce themselves give some idea of background and so forth. My bet is that there is someone here who has similar background and knows how to help in the most expedient fashion.

Communication, in that sense, is both two-way and one-to-one.

Terry
lumberjack

Post by lumberjack »

Terry,
Terry wrote: Sorry, I can't agrre with that advice.
If it were me tackling things for the first time I would find the whole thing daunting and get out quick.
Have you ever looked at it not from a mobile, but just click the link in your webbrowser. All I see, not logged in is posts from Robert clearly from the beginning shows the milestones of the project. Initial announcement and a short message to the point. When I read it, I saw a wow factor, this guys are serious. Having X# Core done within 3-4 months, and regular milestones reached.
What IMO, was never appreciated in the past (Vulcan etc) was the value of the NG (Forum) itself.
My advice to any newcomer is: "Just Shout and Ask".
(The X# community)They are only too willing to help.
I agree, and I think we can see that. Matt for example... His posts get answered in no time. He is asking the right questions, not bashing, but is willing to learn and share his experiences.
All I would advise is that areas of help can be categorised. There is help with actual code. Thus those who actually use XSharp for their projects are best equipped to offer advice.
There are others, who, like me have not used XSharp in earnest, but started off with other things (VO/CULE Chris? if you're reading this) and feel reasonably well placed to help with understanding it all.
Understanding it, is different. Each and everyone of us understands things in a different way. My background, for example is electronics. There are things I could explain to another electronics engineer which would make complete sense. And easily.
I agree, and would not be offended if a moderator remove my post. I will gladly accept it.
Try the same thing, in the same way, with a neuro-surgeon and we'd both end up in a mu[codeddle of confusion.
You open up now a can of worms... With my health issue, unfortunately I lost my "little" trust in the medical industry and told them so. I am curable, and I will proof you wrong... Guess what my knowledge of nutrition (as a forestry graduate) is showing results... The industry shake their heads in disbelieve, it cannot happen. You started improving when you went off the prescription. Yeah right, you don't cure, because then you loose a regular clietnt. Ok enough bashing, I also have good friends in that arena.
So newcomers need to introduce themselves give some idea of background and so forth. My bet is that there is someone here who has similar background and knows how to help in the most expedient fashion.
Communication, in that sense, is both two-way and one-to-one.
Indeed, but they very quiet, look at the Welcome page, not many after registering introduce themselves, sad but true and they could so much easier get into the swing of X#.

Just my 2c.