Visual Studio 2019

Have some feedback and input to share?
Don't be shy and drop us a note. We want to hear from you and strive to make our site better and more user friendly for our guests and members a like.
robert

Visual Studio 2019

Post by robert »

Tomorrow is the official launch of Visual Studio 2019. Unfortunately Microsoft has changed some things in Visual Studio, especially the "New Project" dialog which make it difficult to use VS 2019 with X#. Our project templates are almost invisible in this new dialog....

The X# installer does recognize VS 2019 and installs in this version, and you can also open, edit, compile and debug fine in VS 2019, but creating new projects has become complicated because our templates are treated differently then the built in templates for C#, VB and other Ms languages. And we are not the only ones suffering from this. Almost all 3rd parties have complained about this.
We were promised that they'll make some changes in Update 1 (most likely released in May or June 2019) that will make us properly visible again on this New Project dialog.
So I would recommend everybody to keep on using VS 2015 or VS 2017 until this has been fixed.

You can help to tell Microsoft that they need to fix this urgently by leaving a comment on this page:

https://developercommunity.visualstudio ... ent-510214

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
wriedmann

Visual Studio 2019

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Robert,
thank you for confirming this. I have added a comment now on this page.
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
fxm

Visual Studio 2019

Post by fxm »

If you type "xsharp" into the Search box on the new project dialog, you can find the 8 template X# projects that way. Not a big deal I would reckon because anyone who's gone to the effort of installing X# will know to look for X# projects if that's what they want to create. Obviously, it would be better to appear in the Language dropdown.

p.s. Searching "X#" only returns 3 results. It might be worth updating the integration to get all the results to return as per "xsharp".
FFF

Visual Studio 2019

Post by FFF »

fxm wrote:p.s. Searching "X#" only returns 3 results. It might be worth updating the integration to get all the results to return as per "xsharp".
IIRC, the reason for this is in MS, Robert commented about it some time ago...
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
ic2

Visual Studio 2019

Post by ic2 »

On #1:
Done:
[hr]
Indeed!

Why does Microsoft always first make new versions of their products worse and then (but only with sufficient complaints) repair a part of what was destroyed? And not alone in VS....

I will certainly not install VS 2019 until there's some reason I no longer can use VS 2017. I've updated to VS 2017 last august because I couldn't develop UWP apps with VS 2015 and the W10 version of that moment anymore. It took me 1,5 day to get VS2017 working thanks to the "improved" installer. Can't remember to have found any of the main improvements; e.g. startup time VS was even slower when I started. So in general it's a good idea to postpone Microsoft updates as long as possible.
FoxProMatt

Visual Studio 2019

Post by FoxProMatt »

I also added a reply to the page Robert posted. Hopefully they'll get on this.
Otto

Visual Studio 2019

Post by Otto »

It's good to hear that XSharp functions good with VS2019, other than the setback.
I think I can't temper certain colleagues to try VS2019 out.
FoxProMatt

Visual Studio 2019

Post by FoxProMatt »

I am running the latest 16.02 version of VD 2019 Community Edition, and It will not open any X# Sharp Project, nor will it create any news ones, even searching the manual search trick that were reported in this thread.
2019-04-24_15-17-42.png
2019-04-24_15-17-42.png (22.18 KiB) Viewed 459 times
ic2

Visual Studio 2019

Post by ic2 »

Replying on #8

Hello Matt,

Two options: 1 Maybe a very simple suggestion - did you actually install XSharp on the VS2019 machine?

I decided to install VS 2019 on a spare laptop and then X#. I could find all X# templates and start a new WPF program. I opened an existing project. I had to set to a higher .Net version, got some Mismatch warnings, even 2 XS9003 Preprocesses Include file not found errors - but my program started! A true miracle on a new VS version.

Second: I have seen this error more than once. Going to a newer VS versions is a bit like participating in a lottery: the chances are high that you lose. I often restarted the project, imported the .PRG and XAML files and applied the settings and includes and then it worked. Also sometimes it helped to open the project instead of the .sln file but you already did so judging from the screenshot.

Finally: maybe this helps you finding the cause:

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questi ... tudio.html

Dick
FFF

Visual Studio 2019

Post by FFF »

Dick,
OT:
Seeing you try to install a "message tree" a la "replying to #8" - if you change the display order, e.g. to show latest posts top (as i did) - the numbering goes havock - ATM "Your" post has #1 here ;)
/OT
Karl
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)