where is XIDE after installation?

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hello everyone, I installed XSharp to a Windows 7 computer along with XIDE and ran it after the setup. After closing it, it is nowhere to be found. I searched the desktop, all programs, and program files, etc. I even searched the registry for a hint as to where/what it might be (xide.exe?) and nothing.
lumberjack

Post by lumberjack »

Hi Jorge,
If you clicked the Check mark to also install XIDE during X# installation, it should be in the folder c:xide by default.
If you did not get a XIDE installation as part of the X# installation. Just look in Program Files (x86)XSharpXide
You will find the setup in there. You can even have multiple XIDE installations if chosen.
HTH,
Chris

Post by Chris »

By default XIDE installs in C:XIDE, this is to be able to write data in it's app folder without needing admin privileges, but of course you may have specified a different folder when installing it. Also XIDE writes absolutely nothing in the registry, or in any other folder of your PC, so uninstalling it is as simple as deleting it's folder. You can even install as many instances of XIDE in different folders as you like, simply copy it from one PC to another etc.
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
fxsharp

Post by fxsharp »

Thanks! Found it in C:XIDE. C:Program FilesXSharpXide has the installtion .exe.
FoxProMatt

Post by FoxProMatt »

I think what's confusing about it is that there are no launch icons add the Widows menu for it. Typically, when one installs new software, there is something added to help easily find it an launch it in the future.

When I first installed X#, I too had to go on a discovery path to find out where it lived so I could check it out.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Yeah, I agree, this is a problem. It's the downside of the decision to make it completely self contained, changing nothing in the system that it runs at. But it's a tool targeted for developers only, so I think it's not a big problem really :)
Chris Pyrgas

chris(at)xsharp.eu
lumberjack

Post by lumberjack »

Hi Chris,
Can't you just create a option in the installer:Create desktop icon?
Should not be too much work.
FFF

Post by FFF »

Godness, Matt,
you HAD to at least accept the default installation path for XIDE in the installer.
"had to go on a discovery path to find out where it lived" is really NOT what i expect a developer to write here :ohmy:
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
FoxProMatt

Post by FoxProMatt »

FFF...

Ouch! okay, fair enough... Was't that hard to figure out, and Chris certainly doesn't deserve to be busted up over a silly launcher icon in my menu system.

Cheers.
Chris

Post by Chris »

No worries :)
Chris Pyrgas

chris(at)xsharp.eu