HP-Printer?

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
FFF

HP-Printer?

Post by FFF »

Folks,
been printing for years from Win 8.1 via FritzBox router /USB to a trusty Laserjet 1200. Starting some months ago, i see increasingly a "Printer not available" error from Windows, usually the first print of the day.
Restarting the printer fixes this.
Could the printer be dying, or the router, or could it be some pesky OS-update?
Anyone a clue or similiar experience?

TIA
Karl
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
wriedmann

HP-Printer?

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Karl,

since these printers are not thinked to be used over a network, there is some dirty trick to make them work, and then some update of the printer driver or the OS can provocate such issues.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
FFF

HP-Printer?

Post by FFF »

Hi Wolfgang,
to be clear: the printer connects via USB with the Box, would that count as "network"? But anyway, seems a good idea to contact AVM...

THX
Karl
Regards
Karl
wriedmann

HP-Printer?

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Karl,

since the printer is not physically connected to your computer, you are reaching it over the network.
Many USB printers don't even work this manner, so there should be compatibility lists, in your case by AVM. And these lists change.... So if you change your printer, better buy one woth an integrated network card.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
GregG

HP-Printer?

Post by GregG »

Hi Karl,

I have seen similar problems now that Windows has a setting where it will track your default printer instead of you designating the default printer. I've gotten around the problem by making sure I set the default printer -- I can only find that setting now from the printer's queue, btw.

Another problem I ran across yesterday, was of my own doing. I had the same printer added twice in my devices. The first one was a quick installation without the full printer management and drivers from the manufacturer. I did this after I first connected my printer so I could print a document quickly. It only worked a few times, then I had to install the full printer management software and drivers to get full use of my printer. This resulted in two devices pointing to the same printer -- one works, the other doesn't, and I forgot to remove the bad device from my Control Panel. And now, since Windows is trying to manage my default printer, it was selecting the wrong device. I was scratching my head yesterday for several minutes trying to figure out why it wasn't working. Maybe you have a similar issue?

HTH,

Greg
FFF

HP-Printer?

Post by FFF »

Hi Greg,
is that valid only for W10, or are "lower versions", like my 8.1, equally affected?

THX
Karl
Regards
Karl
GregG

HP-Printer?

Post by GregG »

Hi Karl,

Unfortunately, I don't have a pre-Windows 10 computer to check for you. If you go to Control Panel -> Printers, and select a printer, do you have an option to "Set as default?" Either by right-clicking or by a button appearing next to the printer? I don't have that any more in Win10 and I don't know when that went away.

Thanks,

Greg
FFF

HP-Printer?

Post by FFF »

GregG wrote:do you have an option to "Set as default?" Either by right-clicking or by a button appearing next to the printer?
Yes, it's still there. Anyway, i'm not to sure about this, because, why would a reboot of the printer change it's default status? And, just had the same problem printing from my pdf-viewer app.
ATM i's only a nuisance, but i'll contact AVM (the makers of the router) if there's any hint from their side. If not, i'll live with it as long as the printer keeps going - as it is "only" 18 years, i can't complain ;)

Thx
Karl
Regards
Karl