Is there currently any actual use for the DBServer editor in X#?

We encourage new members to introduce themselves here. Get to know one another and share your interests.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

The title says it all really... I'm trying using .NTX files in the (seemingly vain hope) of getting deeper into X# whilst waiting on the DBFCDX RDD. Import does nothing, Export does nothing.... Does it actually do anything at all yet?
Chris

Post by Chris »

Yeah, Export and Import in the IDE are not implemented, until the RDDs are complete. Only thing that you can do now, is to use existing dbfs, open them or create them with code, read an write to them the same way as you do in VO, open NTX indexes, create NTX indexes (with code), use memo fields, use relations, put filters, use dbfs in 64 bit apps, and there are probably a couple more things that I am forgetting right now, but that's the only things that that you can do for now.
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
BiggyRat

Post by BiggyRat »

Ok, cool. Thanks Chris.
Frank Maraite

Post by Frank Maraite »

Hi all. This weekend I changed from Vulcan DbServer to XSharp DbServer. Worked as a charm. I never used the IDE (no, once, to see what it produced) but have a main MyDbServer class, where I did anything. So switching from CDX to NTX was a matter of an hour or two. OK, I did not use all the possibilities. Together with the enhancement from Meinhard (DbServer4DB) I use dbf directly as DataContext/ItemsSource in WPF DataGrid.

Congrats to the team!!
Frank
Jamal

Post by Jamal »

Hi Frank,

Now, I am curious. What does DbServer4DB exactly do and is it available for download?

Jamal
Frank Maraite

Post by Frank Maraite »

Hi Jamal,
DbServer4Db adds the IList interface to DbServer.
Meinhard published this under LavaVN in Codeplex. I added interfaces to that.

Give me a few days to look over. It's time to publish then.

Frank
Jamal

Post by Jamal »

Hi Frank,
Frank Maraite wrote:Hi Jamal,
DbServer4Db adds the IList interface to DbServer.
Meinhard published this under LavaVN in Codeplex. I added interfaces to that.

Give me a few days to look over. It's time to publish then.

Frank
I wonder if you had the chance to look it over.

Jamal
Frank Maraite

Post by Frank Maraite »

Hi Jamal,

thanks for reminding me on this. Yes I did some work on, mostly translating german phrases to english.
Will be back soon, this week I think. Have to finish urgent things first, but I'm near to finish them.

Frank
Jamal

Post by Jamal »

Hi Frank,

There is no rush.

The good news is that the Dev team is planning a DataSource feature which can be used the .NET browse control. I assume this means DataGridView or other any other 3rd party .NET grid controls. (Robert ?)
After that build we expect no major compiler changes for a while, and will focus on Runtime improvements for the various dialects, such as a SQL based workarea (for the FoxPro SQL.. functions) and a functions that wrap a DBF workarea in a Ado.Net DatTable or DataView so you can assign a DBF workarea as datasource for a standard .Net browse control.
Jamal