Migrating VO 2.7b SQL to XSharp - Difficulties?

Public support forum for peer to peer support with related to the Visual Objects and Vulcan.NET products
jjgregg

Post by jjgregg »

Looking at feasibility of porting our VO applications to X#, need to know what works and what doesn't work in X#. Plan to use MS SQL tables. Please advice, we are on the short end of a decision here. Thanks
George

Post by George »

> Looking at feasibility of porting our VO applications to X#, need to know what works and what doesn't work in X#.

You may find several articles/blogs (like: https://www.xsharp.eu/articles/blog) in X# site discussing the differences between VO and X#.

Actually, I didn't find something from my old VO code that doesn't work in X#, except perhaps things I did not use like some special low level or undocumented Functions (that I always avoided).

>Plan to use MS SQL tables.. Please advice, we are on the short end of a decision here. Thanks

Many years ago, I "ported" my Apps to Vulcan.NET (X# is more 'compatible' than Vulcan.NET with VO) and MS-SQL (since SQL Server 2005/2008).

I didn't even tried to import the VO apps:
1. The UI was designed from scratch using WinForms.
2. The business logic imported as well as many Functions/Methods at the code level.
3. The ADO.NET was my (successful) option but as I wanted to support the same App to use also SqlCe and SQLite, I did not use SqlCommand/SqlConnection and client DLLs like:
System.Data.SqlClient, System.Data.SqlServerCe, System.Data.SQLite
but, DBCommand/DBConnection in an abstract level into my code using a GenericFactoryHelper Class which decides which ones DLLs sould be used at runtime.
If you plan to support only MS-SQL, then your job is simpler.

George
Jamal

Post by Jamal »

According to the following: https://www.xsharp.eu/articles/the-xsha ... p-for-2019, work on the SQL classes is planned in June 2019.
Otto

Post by Otto »

We used classmate's SQL classes in VO.
We've changed the content of those classes to some extend in .NET.

In .NET you have much more options however, like ADO.NET or ORMs like Entity Framework.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Jamal,
Jamal wrote:According to the following: https://www.xsharp.eu/articles/the-xsha ... p-for-2019, work on the SQL classes is planned in June 2019.
That's for a newer AnyCPU and unicode version. The VO-compatible 32bit version should already work exactly the same way as in VO (since many months ago).
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu