VO app on XP Box

Public support forum for peer to peer support with related to the Visual Objects and Vulcan.NET products
Anonymous

VO app on XP Box

Post by Anonymous »

Hi all. This joints been quiet, so I thought I'd liven it up! :)

My app (Business Mgr) works great on all my test environments, but has issues when its installed on an XP Pro box, which is acting as a "server" for the app. Issues such as relationship being broken, (Client -> Job), Drop down lists and Comboboxes etc not holding their value etc etc. Also my Invoices being generated by ReportPro 2.30 are not being created (they are supposed to be in a folder called c:Program FilesBusiness ManagerInvoices) .

Any ideas at all please?

The app is installed on the XP Pro box, then user accesses a shortcut to the program via EITHER a shortcut created on the "server" (bm.exe -> Send to Desktop or a mapped drive. Same result either way (not really surprising I guess)
FFF

VO app on XP Box

Post by FFF »

At least, you shouldn't try to put your reports below "Program Files", that calls for trouble...
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
wriedmann

VO app on XP Box

Post by wriedmann »

Hi,
as Karl wrote: never use data in c:program files or c:windows.
Better use an own folder for your program.
The recommended way by Microsoft is to put the program in c:program files, and shared data in c:programData, and user data in %AppData%.
But I would not do that because it makes updates to the program harder than needed.

And TRASH XP MACHINES!

It is really a very bad idea to use running security holes like XP machines as servers!

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
ic2

VO app on XP Box

Post by ic2 »

Hello Wolfgang,
wriedmann wrote:Hi,
And TRASH XP MACHINES!

It is really a very bad idea to use running security holes like XP machines as servers!

Wolfgang
No need to! They are still getting updates ;)
https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/14/1862 ... ty-patches

Dick
BiggyRat

VO app on XP Box

Post by BiggyRat »

OK, noted. Thank you Karl :)
BiggyRat

VO app on XP Box

Post by BiggyRat »

Agreed Wolfgang, but I have to play with the cards I'm dealt.

My program will be taking over from another software program that has become outdated, obsolete and the client has no install disk for it anyway, so atm, it stays on the XP Box where it was first installed 15+ years ago.

Once my program is running on this old server to the satisfaction of the end users, who keep asking for additional features all the time... ::whistle: :S THEN I'll be able to install it on it's permanent home, which is a brand spanking new HP Gen 10 Proliant server with Windows Server 2019.

But as I say, for now, I have to work with XP.