AtoutFox

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
lumberjack

AtoutFox

Post by lumberjack »

Hi Fabrice/DevTeam,

Will you guys share a couple of the thoughts from AtoutFox with us? What were the responses from the French VFP user base? Any challenges etc?
Fabrice

AtoutFox

Post by Fabrice »

Hi Johan,
one of my goals was to present to the attendees what we can achieve using X#, using Core or Visual Objects dialects.
I did not pretend to have a ready-to-be-used solution : They have already been disappointed by other products/projects that were able to compile a "Hello World!" sample, but not more finally.
I was willing to get some VFP expertise than I don't have, so I was there to learn and to make some contact, with experienced VFP-users : Their reception was very friendly and using the preprocessor we were able to build a "kind-of" VFP sample with some basic DBF access.
Some are ok to help me/us to test-case X# as soon as we have some basic VFP support, and some are also ready to participate to any lib that could ease the move from VFP to X#.
So, it has been a very good moment in Lyon with friendly users.

Regards,
Fab
XSharp Development Team
fabrice(at)xsharp.eu
lumberjack

AtoutFox

Post by lumberjack »

Hi Fabrice,
Fabrice wrote:one of my goals was to present to the attendees what we can achieve using X#, using Core or Visual Objects dialects.
I agree, this was the right way of doing it.
I was willing to get some VFP expertise than I don't have, so I was there to learn and to make some contact, with experienced VFP-users : Their reception was very friendly and using the preprocessor we were able to build a "kind-of" VFP sample with some basic DBF access.
I believe the pre-processor is probably the most powerful X# tool we have that is not utilize to its full capacity. From my knowledge gathered so far, the only commands of VFP that cannot be directly handled by the pre-processor are TEXT/ENDTEXT, WITH and SCAN/ENDSCAN, due to the missing ";" continuation character. The Repos can be handled once the DBFCDX driver is released. At least it seems there are work done on the commands and the work Matt and I have done so far on the Repos/Designers shows good result, just need to be wrapped up.
Some are ok to help me/us to test-case X# as soon as we have some basic VFP support, and some are also ready to participate to any lib that could ease the move from VFP to X#.
Great news, good to know they are willing to invest some time into helping, we as community are eagerly waiting for them to get on board.
So, it has been a very good moment in Lyon with friendly users.
Well they obviously XBase community members and as such what else can you expect, I think the XBase community is probably one of the most friendly and helpful you will find in any programming language.