a new Forum section VS ?

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
Phil Hepburn

a new Forum section VS ?

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi Robert (senior Forum administrator),

and all guys,

I have just spent some time studying and installing VS 2017 RC. So I will be ready for Beta 8 X# compiler when it becomes available.

It would seem to me to be a VERY good idea to have a new public forum for Visual Studio, what do you think ? (Unless I have missed one somewhere.)

As well as many questions we may have, there are also a few guys (I hope) who would like to publish useful hints and tips on VS, and the way forward etc.

Fingers crossed,

Best regards,
Phil.

P.S. I was amazed at how the new 2017 RC found and displayed my Azure stuff, but also that I had to modify my VS workload install (afterwards) to be able to access the SQL servers.
Attachments
VSnewForum_01.jpg
VSnewForum_01.jpg (75.78 KiB) Viewed 231 times
VSnewForum_02.jpg
VSnewForum_02.jpg (66.51 KiB) Viewed 231 times
ic2

a new Forum section VS ?

Post by ic2 »

Hello Phil,

Good to see you in X# and we are looking forward to see your appreciated postings again, here.

Two things:

1) It would be great if you use the X# NG. I understand that synchronizing forum and NG is on Roberts to do list. I can quickly check multiple newsreaders which I do up to multiple times a week, often daily, but I am not going to open all kind of web forums. So I would probably see what is posted here only a few times a year.

2) On your suggestion: Nooo please. I have posted in the private chit chat a request to bring down the number of sections 2 weeks ago and Robert merged a few already. One of the charms of comp.lang NG is that I can see all messages at once without having to open a whole bunch of sections one by one. Ok, I do understand a few sections but personally I think more than Xide, chit chat, announcements and all others (which would be already 8, including private) is more than enough. Users post at random now. Take a look at the NG "Product" section. There are 5 threads from which 3 are just xide subjects...I think half of what I posted was in the wrong section as well.

Dick
wriedmann

a new Forum section VS ?

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Dick,
It would be great if you use the X# NG. I understand that synchronizing forum and NG is on Roberts to do list. I can quickly check multiple newsreaders which I do up to multiple times a week, often daily, but I am not going to open all kind of web forums. So I would probably see what is posted here only a few times a year.
personally I like NGs more than a webforum, but for the style Phil uses I think a webforum is more adequate for a few things: first it is easier to read because the images are displayed in the middle of the post where they should be instead of attachments, and then the web forum is indexed by Google and the messages can be read also years later.

And then, with the actual integration of the forum in the website, you need to visit www.xsharp.eu once a day to see if there are new messages.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
Phil Hepburn

a new Forum section VS ?

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi Wolfgang and all,

Personally I find it very convenient to use the XSharp web site as I do. Mainly for posts into Pearls where I need to include image information.

I will continue to post in all the Forums on offer, but I do find the 'recent posts' option quite handy as a one-stop-shop to see what has been going on.

Since X# is a good product, lets have a good web-site and forums.

Regards to one and all,
Phil.