Translations

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
robert

Translations

Post by robert »

The X# runtime contains string tables that are derived from the original string tables from VO.
These string tables can be found in the folder https://github.com/X-Sharp/XSharpPublic ... e/Language

The file Generic.resx contains (as the name indicates) the generic string table, which is the English string table.
This table is used when a translation for a specific language is missing.

Other resx files are available for several other languages.

Some of these only contain the day names and month names. Others are more complete.

We are looking for volunteers that help us add missing strings to various language string tables.
If you want to help, follow these steps:
- announce here which language you are going to work on, so we will not duplicate the work
- download Generic.resx
- download Your language.resx
- use an UTF8 editor to edit the entries (VS for example)
- correct existing entries. We may have corrupted some strings when translating from Ansi to Unicode
- compare the two files and locate missing entries. For example all string tables are missing the last 3 entries ERRORDIALOG_TITLE, ERRORDIALOG_CLOSE and ERRORDIALOG_COPY which were added today.
- Copy the relevant section over from Generic.resx and translate the string between <value> and </value>. Please use HTML encoding for special characters such as <, > and & like you can see in the last entry where the ampersand is encoded as &. Make sure that special characters are UTF8 encoded.
- Send us the changed resource file so we can include it in the next build.

Please note that there are some older strings in the table that are not (yet) used in X#. We are planning to cleanup the table in the coming months.

Thanks in advance.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
wriedmann

Translations

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Robert,
if needed, I can do Italian and German. Unfortunately I don't speak other languages <g>.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
lumberjack

Translations

Post by lumberjack »

Hi Robert,

I can do Afrikaans, but alas, I have NEVER seen anybody in SA trying to use an Afrikaans Windows/Office or trying even to code in it... We as a nation basically stick to the English versions of software... :)
robert

Translations

Post by robert »

Johan,

Maybe you can spell check / grammar check the Generic/English version ?

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
FFF

Translations

Post by FFF »

Wolfgang,
seeing your time-invest in X#, i might take over the german version...;)

Karl
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
ic2

Translations

Post by ic2 »

We can do Dutch if you like.

We have a lot of other existing translations which may -partly- be useful. E.g. I see that there are (DOS) errors included - we have those from some other public source.

Questions:
1 When should it be done?
2 What if a language seems to have lots of translations already? E.g. Spanish. Our German, French and Spanish translation tables were originally (wo)men made and later only machine translations.

Dick
Jamal

Translations

Post by Jamal »

Robert,

I can help with Arabic.resx but I do not see it listed. If you wish I can create one if you are not limiting it to the languages listed in your post.

Jamal
robert

Translations

Post by robert »

Jamal,
Having an Arabic translation would be nice. What would be the sort order attached to the translation when running in SetCollation(#Clipper) ?

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
robert

Translations

Post by robert »

Dick,
1) The sooner the better. It would be nice if I could include it in the GA release of August
2) If there are missing translations and you have suggestions to add them, please let me know. I think I will ask Fabrice to do the French translations. And for German we already have 2 volunteers, but nobody has offered to do the Spanish translation yet.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
orangesocks

Translations

Post by orangesocks »

Hi,
if you need help with the italian translation count me in.
Regards
Giuseppe