Baffling minor annoyance

Public support forum for peer to peer support with related to the Visual Objects and Vulcan.NET products
Anonymous

Baffling minor annoyance

Post by Anonymous »

Hi guys. Once upon a time, many moons ago, I created a field in a database called DNAME - short for Drivers Name. As the program developed this DNAME field was no longer required, and I deleted it from the database, the associated Server, the screens it was used in, etc. That was 7-8 months ago AT LEAST.

Still whenever I make a change in either of the two screens it used to appear in I get the error shown in the attached file. WHY? Where the hell is it getting it from? I've done a full text search on the entire application code, and it shows no results. Then I compile, and bang! Its back, and it appears in the search How do I resolve this please.
DName.JPG
DName.JPG (42.58 KiB) Viewed 186 times
Chris

Baffling minor annoyance

Post by Chris »

I think the "Data Server" property in your JobEdit window has the value "DATA_DNAME". Delete this value (in the window editor) and it should not happen again. If it's not it, it should be something very similar, just please show us the contents of JobEdit:Init(), especially line 238 that the error message mentions and it should be straightforward to find the problem.
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
BiggyRat

Baffling minor annoyance

Post by BiggyRat »

Here's the init code:
Dname2.JPG
Dname2.JPG (112.75 KiB) Viewed 186 times
When I make a change to JobEdit, no matter how small, BANG! it's back (yes, at line 238) Why?
Dname3.JPG
Dname3.JPG (75.26 KiB) Viewed 186 times
Chris

Baffling minor annoyance

Post by Chris »

So it is a FieldSpec and a DataColumn (browser column) in this window uses it. To delete it, set (while open in the window editor) "View As" to "#BrowseView", hit <enter> and all the underlying columns will show up. Click on the column with caption JobDetails and empty the value that is currently set in the FieldSpec property. save and build, the error should disappear.
Chris Pyrgas

chris(at)xsharp.eu
BiggyRat

Baffling minor annoyance

Post by BiggyRat »

Thanks very much Chris, you are right, that was my problem, though I've never set a BrowseView for either page - the information on it just doesn't suit a BrowseView, hence I made an "Edit Screen" where the user could make changes, and keep restrictions etc I have in place.

I still don't understand why some sort of reference wasn't found by the search however, but I now know what to look for in future.

Many thanks again.
Chris

Baffling minor annoyance

Post by Chris »

You're welcome! The search did not show anything because this information is stored in a binarry (WED) entity, while search checks code (text entities) only.
Chris Pyrgas

chris(at)xsharp.eu