XIDE and Visual Studio

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
ArneOrtlinghaus

XIDE and Visual Studio

Post by ArneOrtlinghaus »

Hi,
I started XIDE and I was impressed. It could be a nice alternative to Visual Studio.
Are there some existing possibilities to create the XIDE project files in an not too time taking way from Visual Studio Solution and project files?

Arne
Chris

XIDE and Visual Studio

Post by Chris »

Hi Arne,

There's no easy way to do this currently, but it's very easy for me to add a small functionality that reads directly your folder/prg structure and automatically create the XIDE project structure (not by reading the VS project files though, I'd like to avoid doing that). I will send this later today so you can have a look if it suits you.

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
ArneOrtlinghaus

XIDE and Visual Studio

Hi Chris,
this can be also a good possibility. If you could make something similar, it would be great.
As Chrismas is coming nearer, I express some wishes:
- If possible, the tool should generate all necessary files for a complete solution folder.
- It should generate the files relative to the solution folders (same directories or if necessary some sub folders)
- If already XIDE project files with the same names exist, the tool should not overwrite the files completely, but should update only the folders structure so that I can insert the correct compiler switches and references once.

Arne
ArneOrtlinghaus

XIDE and Visual Studio

I meant Christmas, Chris,...
Chris

XIDE and Visual Studio

Post by Chris »

Hi Arne,

I liked the typo :-)

This tool will not be something external, just a new menu option in XIDE with this functionality. I have already implemented it, will give it a bit more testing and will send you the new XIDE dlls to give it a try. As it is now, it only generates new XIDE library files in existing solutions, side by side with the VS files, but of course it can be later improved with your suggestions.

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
wriedmann

XIDE and Visual Studio

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Arne,

I have decided to use XIDE because of a few reasons:
- I'm much more productive in it
- it has a regular autoexport like VO's VOPP
- it's project structure seems more like VO's repository - VS seems to have much more files around
- it has an export project and export application function
- it has an excellent support and a powerful plugin system
- Chris is very open to additions
- you can switch from Vulcan to X# with a mouse click
- is ways faster that Visual Studio both at startup and running
- is much more stable than Visual Studio specially when using the Vulcan projects (I had a lot of crashes in XAML editors).

It has also a few con's:
- Intellisense in VS seems to be better
- there is no support for XAML (not a problem for me, but makes it harder to start with WPF)

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it