A big "Thank you"

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
wriedmann

A big "Thank you"

Post by wriedmann »

Hi all,

this may be beyond the scope of this forum, but I would say a big "Thank you" to the development team behind X#, in first line to Robert and Chris (as they are there all the time to give answers and solve problems).

When I first heard from X#, I had no doubts that this project would fail, but I had to change my opinion, and I have X# code in production for nearly a year now!

I like the X# language, I like to work with it, and I'm pretty sure it will be a good successor to VO, and I see also new life for my VO applications.

I had the experience (and a few of you had the same): asked for something, and in a very short time the development team found a solution, not only a fix, but also enhancements I never tought they would be possible.

Bug fixing is a process I don't like at all, but it is neccessary to deliver and maintain a working production, and the X# team has demonstrated more than once that they are able to deliver also this important service.

So again: Thank you very, very much!

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
Chris

A big "Thank you"

Post by Chris »

Hi Wolfgang!

Thank you very much for your nice words!

Of course it's only natural to be skeptical at first, even I did need some time to get convinced that MS really, fully open-sourced roslyn :) But they did and there's no "catch" to it, allowing as to build a very powerful modern xBase compiler on top of it (I don't believe I'm saying this, but thanks MS!)

It's taken a lot of effort, but our work is now paying off, it feels amazing seeing so many x# apps, new ones or existing ones that have been ported to x#. And that's only the beginning, very interesting times lie ahead...

And of course thank you very much to everybody for your invaluable help on this project!

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
Phil Hepburn

A big "Thank you"

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi Chris, and all,

Yes, I remember at 'DevShare' of October 2015, when Robert told all the attendees before the Event about X#, thinking that he and you in the Team were mad! Quite MAD!!!

I also remember clearly saying / thinking that if X# would do LINQ properly and fully, then I would give it a go. So after 7 months sabbatical (and woodworking) here I am testing LINQ to the full ;-0) And it (LINQ) 'simply works' as Robert said in the Home page article.

I would like to support Wolfgang and say a big THANKS to yourself, Robert, Niko, Fabrice and all. As I gather there may be a few "Mr. Mysteriosos" involved. Did you know that this 'term' came from when George Harrison played on an Eric Clapton LP (Album) but was under contract to A.N. Other ? So Mr Mysterioso was printed on the back of the record sleeve.

Anyway - New Year for me is X# to Cologne for some LINQ fun, if Michael and Meinhard can find a slot for my prepared sessions on LINQ, then possibly Generics, and a shot at the 'Controller Executive' in a full M-VM-V (or MVVM) application with "Entity Core". Hopefully I can use VS 2017 and Fabrice's integration. I have almost forgotten what intellisense is ;-0((

Best Regards and THANKS,
Phil.
Wales, UK.
Chris

A big "Thank you"

Post by Chris »

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your nice words, too! Even at the "mad" comment :) Although it's really the other 3 members of the gang that are the real MAD ones, as unfortunately I had missed the initial genesis of x#...I later just simply followed the mad :)

I wasn't aware of the Mr. Mysterioso trivia, that's funny to hear! But do you mean we seem to be too few people to have achieved such a progress already, or do you imply we are mysterious guys? :) In either way, I think we can take it as a compliment, because I can assure you it's just the 4 of us that have built x#. With the invaluable help from a lot of people of course!

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
robert

A big "Thank you"

Post by robert »

Phil,

The MAD idea was triggered by the death of my mother, which caused my trip to Antarctica to get canceled.

I had originally planned to use the time on board to reflect on the future.
But since I was back home early I was unexpectedly able to visit the conference in Cologne.

When I heard there that Nikos and Fabrice were not happy with how things were progressing with Vulcan, the three of us formed a plan to keep them in the XBase world and to team up and start an open source project together.

Chris was not there (in Cologne), but Nikos and Fabrice knew that he was unhappy as well, so we decided to ask him if he wanted to join us

Chris was indeed the 'Mysterious' person that I mentioned in September 2015. At that time he did not want to be mentioned in public because he wanted to properly finish his work for GrafX.

And the rest is history.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
Phil Hepburn

A big "Thank you"

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Robert,

So no George Harrison then ! Shame ;-0((

Oh well, there goes a better story, and I suppose that Eric Clapton did not contribute any  code either :whistle:

However, sometimes good comes out of madness.

Seasonal wishes to you and your family.

Keep on going with the project!

Cheers,
Phil.
wriedmann

A big "Thank you"

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Phil, hi Robert,

very often the crazy ideas change the world - things that nobody would be see as realistic.

I'm very happy that you, Robert, had this crazy idea, and believe it not only at the idea, but let follow a product.

The last 10 years I've spent time searching for an alternative development tool to VO, and couldn't find one. Now, with X# I have found it.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it