the New Year !?

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
Phil Hepburn

the New Year !?

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi Oscar (and all),

Hope the next year is kind to you, and that you start to walk better.

Try to make it to Cologne, Germany, and we can have a chat and a drink. We missed you at the last 'DevShare' event. You can finally meet with Julie my wife, in Cologne. Will your daughter or wife be coming as well?

Best regards,
Phil.
Phil Hepburn

the New Year !?

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hello again Oscar,

I see from an automatic Facebook mail that it is your birthday today - January 1st. - so "Happy Birthday" to you, as well as 'happy New Year' !

I hope you have a successful X# day and also a productive X# year ;-0)

The more I use XSharp the more I like it, Robert and his Team have done a great job so far.

Its a grey wet day here in Newport, South Wales. (UK).

Speak soon,
Phil (and Julie).
ohernandez@sistemas-liasa.com

the New Year !?

Post by ohernandez@sistemas-liasa.com »

Thank You Phil,
I am trying to convince my wife to accompany me if I can go, I just have 1 month without using the cane.
I start using the transporter in Vulcan in order to move to x#; but I use report pro 2 (have the source), bbrowser (have the Vulcan version), lots of com with DevExpress and wpf, ADS. At this moment I am using the transporter as the tool to identify problems in my VO code. I am working with many Changes in VO, the time to move to Vulcan and then to x# is not enough.
My goal is to leave VO and move to dot net (x#, c#, wpf).

Best regards,

Oscar Hernandez
robert

the New Year !?

Post by robert »

Oscar,

We have worked on compiling RP 2 and bBrowser this week and found a couple of issues. If you start to convert the RP2 or bBrowser source please contact us, so we can give you the latest compiler and some tips on things that MUST be changed (there are a errors in the source code for both libraries).

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu

the New Year !?

Thank You,
Great support.
I made some corrections before to report pro in order to work with ads.
I did an small app in Vulcan (it is the only one), could not solve the images in the pdf, the program open the pdf and insert the company logo (I'm not happy with this).
Could You share the tips?
Chris

the New Year !?

Post by Chris »

Hi Oscar,

Using the transporter to identify problems in your code is a good idea, but I'd suggest not to rely too much on it and definitely not use the modified source that it outputs if you plan to move to X#, because many of the changes that transporter makes, are not needed in X#.

For example, because vulcan only supports double quotes as string delimiters, transporter changes many of your strings to escaped strings. X# supports both single and double quotes as string delimiters, so all those changes are not needed. Same goes for changing the operator to access VOSTRUCT members from "." to ":", changing DEFINEs to #define and more... and soon we will make x# even more compatible with VO code, so in the future even less changes will be required to port your code from VO to X#.

In the coming weeks we will publish a tool that converts VO projects directly to X#, so you will be able to use this one instead.

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
wriedmann

the New Year !?

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Chris,

I don't knew that of the single and double quotes - it is a very welcome addition that makes code more readable specially if you are working with HTML sequences in VO/X# code (very frequent these days - I have more and more notifications and reports that need to be sent out in HTML format).

In VO (and fortunately in X# too now) is is easy:

Code: Select all

cHtml := '<html>Hi<p><a href="http://www.riedmann.it">Hi there!</a></html>'
And regarding the VO system libraries: if many of the changes that the Transporter makes are not needed, then we should wait until the XPorter can do this and use the new tool to move the code ourselves instead of using the Vulcan source code to build the X# version of these libraries?

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
Chris

the New Year !?

Post by Chris »

Hi Wolfgang,

Yes, I agree single quote string delimiters are very useful, actually it was one of the items in our todo list to bring back in vulcan as well, but obviously we didn't get the chance to implement it there.

As for compiling the SDK, it is up to you, if you want to compile it now, you can simply use the already transported version of the code. Otherwise you can wait till our tool is ready.

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
Frank Maraite

the New Year !?

Post by Frank Maraite »

Hi Chris,

I'm surprised and happy about single quote strings are back again. Now I can do another refactory session :). I'll try it as soon as possible. It was such a messy thing.

Thanks for that.

Frank

the New Year !?

Chris,
Great news, I will wait for the XPorter.
Thank You,
Oscar