SWFOX - X# vendor session on YouTube

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
lumberjack

Post by lumberjack »

Hi all,

Well we don't get updates when the X# website gets updated. So please see the link to the YouTube video published if you have not seen it yet.

Well done guys, it looks good.

Happy listening!
FoxProMatt

Post by FoxProMatt »

Here is the video link in case you don't quickly see it at the bottom of Robert's post:

https://youtu.be/wA61SryiMlk

And here is the post from Robert about the SWFox conference which also contains a download link of the samples they presented there:

https://www.xsharp.eu/articles/presenta ... rom-sw-fox
FFF

Post by FFF »

lumberjack wrote:Well done guys, it looks good.
Waiting for wife in car, i digested the first third. Nicely done. Apart from Roberts remark about Foxers which don't like/know VS. Expected a grin and the hint, that Chris wrote a wonderful IDE with X#. But nope, only more or less, "bad luck"... That i found really annoying, sorry.
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
FoxProMatt

Post by FoxProMatt »

You will see later in video that Robert does mention XIDE. - It's at the 1 hour and 14 minute mark when the presentation switches from Fabrice back to Robert.

BTW, the last thing that Fabrice showed was a an X# app running a .Net WinForms compiled EXE app, reading a FoxPro DBF, oh, and it's running on a Ubuntu LINUX machine.

...Hey folks, read that again:

Fabrice showed an X# app running a .Net WinForms compiled EXE app, reading a FoxPro DBF, running on a Ubuntu LINUX machine. You can watch the whole thing in the video.
2019-10-29_8-46-38.png
2019-10-29_8-46-38.png (259.43 KiB) Viewed 373 times
robert

Post by robert »

Karl,
No need to get wound up. I DID mention XIDE.
But since XIDE emulates the VO IDE I did not think it would make much sense to give it a very prominent place in a presentation to a group of FoxPro developers, who don't have a clue what the VO IDE looks like.

In fact, during the session from Eric Selje, we discovered that getting FoxPro users to use XIDE (at least at this moment) is not going to help them get started quickly, since there are no FoxPro templates, and also the terminology "project" and "application" is not helping them understand things. In FoxPro an "App" is called a "Project" (just like in Visual Studio).

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
Chris

Post by Chris »

Yeah, I agree, I think VFP users are used to the MS way of doing things and most probably will not enjoy working with XIDE. If XIDE is one thing, it is anti-MS-way-of-doing-things :)
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
FFF

Post by FFF »

Robert,
well, sorry, but here you are. If i hadn't more "against" using VS, than "app" vs. "project", i would have stayed with Vo2.0. :) As any Fox guy probably would do with whatever he has, if this bothered him...
C'mon, "no templates", indeed. I shouldn't have to remind you that Xide started as CULE-Edit, migrated to VN and now to X#...
So, what's your suggestion to a Foxuser, who want's to venture in X# pastures - to learn VS first?
Regards
Karl
robert

Post by robert »

Karl,

The idea of our presence at SW Fox was to introduce FoxPro developers to X#.
The FoxPro audience already knows VS. They have seen dozens of sessions on how to talk from FoxPro to C# for example.

By using and focusing on X# inside VS we were not introducing 2 new things to them, but only their Xbase language compiling and running in .Net and inside VS. That was the idea behind it. And I still think that was a valid decision.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
FFF

Post by FFF »

robert wrote:The FoxPro audience already knows VS. They have seen dozens of sessions on how to talk from FoxPro to C# for example.
If this is so, i stand corrected, but you'll admit your opening 15min don't sound like "you guys know VS in and out".
Regards
Karl
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Karl,

As you know, I very much appreciate that you like XIDE a lot, I also like it a lot :) and prefer it to VS for my own programming tasks. But XIDE is written from a VO person's perspective and as I had suspected when designing it, it did appeal also to other VOers than me. But VFP is very different to VO, VFP programmers are in a lot of ways used to a different programming style than VOers and it is highly unlikely they will find XIDE appealing.

In case some VFP developers do try it and find they they like it, I will of course make adjustments to make it cover VFP needs much better, but I very much doubt any VFP user will ever want to do that. For now I have just implemented the very basic VFP compatibility needed so we can run also VFP compiler tests from within XIDE, because it is a lot straightforward doing it this way. Having said that, I suspect (x)Harbour users will actually do prefer working in XIDE, when X# has full support for this dialect as well. But VFP programmers, I am pretty sure they will not.
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu