Reporting

This forum is meant for questions about the Visual FoxPro Language support in X#.

David Martin

Reporting

Post by David Martin »

Maybe I have missed this somewhere ... how is reporting going to be handled?
Chris

Reporting

Post by Chris »

Either by posting the report here, or using the "Tickets" button at the top-right of this website to open the report directly in GitHub. It helps reporting it here first if it's some matter that's worth discussing with other members first.
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
FoxProMatt

Reporting

Post by FoxProMatt »

Chris - I believe they are asking about Report generating in a VFP app. Report designer? Viewer? etc...
lumberjack

Reporting

Post by lumberjack »

Matt,
FoxProMatt_MattSlay wrote:Chris - I believe they are asking about Report generating in a VFP app. Report designer? Viewer? etc...
I think you are correct.

Robert already mentioned ReportPro as alternative and potentially make it read the VFP report files. The other option might be to try and compile the FoxyPreviewer with X# once all the VFP syntax/runtime features are implemented in X#?
FoxProMatt

Reporting

Post by FoxProMatt »

Hi IvyLeagueSoftware -

I can tell you from a reply Robert gave me in the VFP FOX Supporter forum that he thinks their Report Pro tool can be made to work with VFP reports.

Link to thread here: https://www.xsharp.eu/forum/private-vfp ... nnig#10661
mainhatten

Reporting

Post by mainhatten »

FoxProMatt_MattSlay wrote:I can tell you from a reply Robert gave me in the VFP FOX Supporter forum that he thinks their Report Pro tool can be made to work with VFP reports.
Link to thread here: https://www.xsharp.eu/forum/private-vfp ... nnig#10661
not able to read private... but why not recompile the "stock" report handling added in vfp 9. which can be set as "Reportbehaviou 90" first? Sources to ReportOutput and Reportviewer (as well as ReportBuilder) are included in vfp. Is GDIPlus unable to run outside Win32/Win64 and foxyPreviewer has less difficulties running on Mono/Xamarin for Android ? PDF certainly more important than 12 years ago, but I guess foxyPreviewer will be harder to port...

mused about the topic in:
https://www.xsharp.eu/forum/public-vfp/ ... list#11395

regards
thomas

att: readme and license from vfp reporting "90",seems permissive enough (IANAL!)
Attachments
README.txt
(2.84 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
LICENSE.txt
(2.45 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Chris

Reporting

Post by Chris »

FoxProMatt_MattSlay wrote:Chris - I believe they are asking about Report generating in a VFP app. Report designer? Viewer? etc...
Oops, right, thanks! :blush:
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
David Martin

Reporting

Post by David Martin »

Thanks for the replys Guys.
FoxProMatt

Reporting in VFP | FoxPro

Post by FoxProMatt »

MainHatten said:
.. why not recompile the "stock" report handling added in vfp 9. ? Sources to ReportOutput and Reportviewer (as well as ReportBuilder) are included in vfp.
So, I did some looking around for these "Sources" and I see that indeed the VFP Reporting pieces are implemented in plain old VFP code, and are included with Microsoft's Visual FoxPro installation in a bundle they call "XSource", and I believe they open-sourced this XSource to the community when they announced they were not going to continue VFP (this may need to be verified). There is XSource.zip in the Visual FoxPro ToolsXSource directory.
Reporting Apps is part of "XSource", the source files for various Visual FoxPro components. The license governing XSource can be found in the XSource_EULA.txt included with all of the XSource releases.
Next I discovered that Doug Hennig has put the VFP Reporting source code from XSource in a GitHub repo, and it has had many updates and revisions since the production release. So, anyone working with this should start from Dougs repo, not the one that shipped with VFP.

Here is the repo: https://github.com/VFPX/ReportingApps

I took a quick look at the source code it all appears in VFP code (PRGs and VCXs), and X#.VFP seems to be on a path to fully implement VFP code support, so this could look very promising, for someone to get this VFP report engine running in X# in pretty much the same way it runs in VFP.

Probably the most mysterious part of this is the _GDIPlus.vcx library that is part of the VFP installation.

The VFP Help file says this about _GDIPlux.vcx:
The GDI Plus API Wrapper Foundation class library, _GDIPlus.vcx, contains a collection of classes that wrap GDI+ Flat API functionality for use in Visual FoxPro. You can use these classes to add GDI+ features to forms and reports.
So, maybe _GDIPlus.cvx is just wrapper code around Windows "stuff" and maybe once the code is finally down that GDI+ level, it can still run from X#, but I am not sure about that.
FoxProMatt

Reporting in VFP | FoxPro

Post by FoxProMatt »

Well, I have now learned that the source code provided through XSource is only run time items to build a report, preview the report, and then output the report.

There is no Report Designer; that is part of the VFP IDE, so that means there’s no way to create new, or edit existing FoxPro reports unless someone makes a new designer for it.

And since Report Pro already has a designer, it sure seems like the obvious path is simply for Robert to attempt migrating FoxPro reports to Report Pro.