Hello, I'm Tracy

We encourage new members to introduce themselves here. Get to know one another and share your interests.
Tracy-P

Hello, I'm Tracy

Post by Tracy-P »

I've been writing VFP code for over 20 years.
I work full time where I maintain and add new features on a production product written in VFP 9.
We are in the process of finding a new code base to work with.

Tracy
Chris

Hello, I'm Tracy

Post by Chris »

Hello Tracy and welcome to X#! Exciting times should be ahead in the next months!
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
FoxProMatt

Hello, I'm Tracy

Post by FoxProMatt »

Hi Tracy. Welcome to X#. It's still early in X#.VFP, so you're getting in at the ground level.

Have downloaded and installed X# yet?
lumberjack

Hello, I'm Tracy

Post by lumberjack »

Hi Tracy,
Tracy-P wrote:I've been writing VFP code for over 20 years.
I work full time where I maintain and add new features on a production product written in VFP 9.
We are in the process of finding a new code base to work with.
Welcome, start small with your new code base and play with a mix of VFP and X# style...
Terry

Hello, I'm Tracy

Post by Terry »

Hi Tracy

> We are in the process of finding a new code base to work with.

Just in case you are deliberating on this issue, FWIW I do not think there will be and easier or quicker forward path for you to follow than that offered by XSharp.

The reason for saying this is that XSharp development is driven by a Development Team that, several years ago now, before the .NET era, had the foresight to split computer memory management away from application logic, meaning that the former could be handled entirely automatically.

The result, Visual Objects, was a very easy to use development language. It was ahead of anything that Microsoft had published that I had read at the time (though I've no doubt they were thinking internally along the same lines).

XSharp brings together what could be described as "an amalgamated VO/.NET language" with ease of use and integrity of managed code, together with an almost automatic stepping stone into a broad range of future technologies / technological complexities.

Just my view as a C# developer.

Terry
FFF

Hello, I'm Tracy

Post by FFF »

Terry wrote: ..XSharp development is driven by a Development Team that, several years ago now, before the .NET era, had the foresight to split computer memory management away from application logic, meaning that the former could be handled entirely automatically.
The result, Visual Objects..
While we are in nostalgic mode, i'd like to add two little corrections.
"Several years" is indeed about 25 years back (shudder).
And: The "VO" devs where, IIRC, Ralph Saboroswki, Ansgar Trimborn, Uwe Holz and Fru N'denge. That was quite some time before we knew anything about the existance of Robert, Chris & Fabrice (sorry, Nikos, you are too young) :whistle:
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
Karl-Heinz

Hello, I'm Tracy

Post by Karl-Heinz »

fasten your seatbelts please ;-)

Here's another nostalgic journey back to the past, explaining the upcoming VO 1.0 disaster..:woohoo:

https://bit.ly/331LgVJ

regards
Karl-Heinz
Chris

Hello, I'm Tracy

Post by Chris »

Hi Karl,
FFF wrote:While we are in nostalgic mode, i'd like to add two little corrections.
"Several years" is indeed about 25 years back (shudder).
And: The "VO" devs where, IIRC, Ralph Saboroswki, Ansgar Trimborn, Uwe Holz and Fru N'denge. That was quite some time before we knew anything about the existance of Robert, Chris & Fabrice (sorry, Nikos, you are too young) :whistle:
Actually he's just 4 months younger than me :)
We both started with Clipper during our first uni years in 1995, I later remained in xBase with VO, but he had instead moved to other projects with Delphi, so he's the prodigal son :)
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
lumberjack

Hello, I'm Tracy

Post by lumberjack »

Chris wrote: but he had instead moved to other projects with Delphi, so he's the prodigal son :)
Good to know, so we can expect next year a Delphi.XBase.NET compiler?