German conference / event

Deutschsprachiges X#-Forum – German language forum

Moderator: wriedmann

robert

Post by robert »

We are planning to do a conference / event in Germany end of this year (most likely in October). We are thinking of a small event with a single session room for 2 days. So a total of ~ 10 sessions and not too expensive. Something like between 300 - 600 euro for the event, excluding the hotel costs. We are thinking about a location in the middle or south of Germany so it is also not too far for attendees from Austria and Switzerland.
We will try to be there with 2 or more members of the X# devteam.

We have a couple of questions for you:
- Would you be interested to attend ?
- Would you be interested to help us organize such an event (especially with finding a location that has a session room and a hotel or similar accommodation) ? Our experience (like last year in Austin) is that it is much easier when a local helps to arrange these things
- Would you be interested to do a session at such an event. This could be about your experience with migrating to X# or about another interesting topic related to .Net development

I hope to hear more from you.

PS: since this is "das Deutsche Forum" it is OK to answer in Deutsch, "aber mein geschriebenes Deutsch ist nicht so gut"

On behalf of the Devteam,

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Robert,
first of all: that is a very good idea!
And you can count on me: I will be there, together with Andreas.
Maybe someone from the Italian community could also be interested to attend.
If you need some help: you can count on me.
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
ArneOrtlinghaus

Post by ArneOrtlinghaus »

I am also interested to come.
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Robert,
interesting that the first 3 registrations are from South Tyrol <g>, and not from Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
wolfgang@riedmann.it
AlessandroV

Post by AlessandroV »

Good idea, i am interested too.

Alesasndro
mainhatten

Post by mainhatten »

robert wrote:We are planning to do a conference / event in Germany end of this year (most likely in October). We have a couple of questions for you:
Yupp.
- Would you be interested to help us organize such an event (especially with finding a location that has a session room and a hotel or similar accommodation) ? Our experience (like last year in Austin) is that it is much easier when a local helps to arrange these things
If you need another pair of eyes to scout a location around Frankfurt or some last ditch local effort, count me in.
You probably heard about the string of foxpro conferences in Frankfurt from Tamar, Doug or one of the other regular speakers Rainer flew in for more than 20 years. I was only involved doing a few sessions (not my forte..) and sometimes picking up speakers at the airport, esp. those wishing for a "high-speed Autobahn expirience" driving down A5 to Darmstadt before driving up to conference site ;-)

Frankfurt is hard to beat when comparing travel convenience, but that is offset by duking it out with Munich for the highest price for about any given value level - that opinion was confirmed when visiting other conferences or similar meetups. If you or one of the others has an inside straight to a company with a session room in or near Frankurt: Go for it (or ask me to look the place over at least). In my expirience the sessions where room owner did not calculate session room (only) as a profit center the meetups worked much better - from sessions in otherwise empty rooms on weekends at Oracle in Langen to company rooms in Frankfurt/Niederrad for consecutive days from 14H - 22H. Rooms were definately not free, but cost was small usage fee plus ample amount for additional cleaning effort.
The Frankfurt vfp conference (up to 3.5 days, close to 500 attendees in best times, up to 6 parallell sessions) grew smaller every year while trying to stay in "normal" conference with accompanying hotel deals, but did not survive - even holding last conferences quite a few miles away from center at not-so-expensive locatons...
- Would you be interested to do a session at such an event. This could be about your experience with migrating to X# or about another interesting topic related to .Net development
Perhaps - again, my strengths are in other areas

regards

thomas
SHirsch

Post by SHirsch »

Yes (maybe a second person)
- Would you be interested to help us organize such an event (especially with finding a location that has a session room and a hotel or similar accommodation) ?
I am living near Stuttgart. If that's the city of choice, I may help finding a location.
Yes, depends on interest.

Regards,
Stefan
FFF

Post by FFF »

All,
* what numbers are to be expected?
* do you really "need" a bigger city? Towns like Frankfurt, Stuttgart etc. have their pros, but IMHO mainly if you want/have strength left after 5 sessions in a row, to "go out" ;) For a two day event, i don't see the need...
Might help to keep cost down, so usually, more attendees ;)
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hello,

it is more important to have a location that is easy to reach, and IMHO somewhere in Bavaria because easily to reach from Austria, Switzerland, the rest of Germany ( and of course from Northern Italy).
Maybe Nürnberg or Ingolstadt could be an option - if there is someone that can help in the organisation of the event.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
wolfgang@riedmann.it
FFF

Post by FFF »

Well,
why Nürnberg or Ingolstadt? Both (relatively) big, both expensive.
My suggestion would be Memmingen - not because i'm there ;), but the combination of highway crossroad, railway crossroad and airport with a 45k town is rather unique...
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)