We are looking for a UK developer

We encourage new members to introduce themselves here. Get to know one another and share your interests.
trevorsm

Post by trevorsm »

Hi Folks

I am an (old) developer, DB2-Clipper-VO, and have moved on to other things but I have 2 apps still very much in every day use. Every 12 to 18 months I revisit the apps to make minor changes but it's getting more difficult each time trying to remember the language.

One of the apps is an order processing system for a window blind company. The program has been running since 1996 and the company has grown significantly since with more users working remotely (via remote access). I might be wrong but I feel that performance and stability might be improved by switching to a SQL Server or ADS perhaps.

In order to improve the app and provide long-term support I am wondering if there is a UK based developer interested in taking over the app?

BTW, It's good to see that some of the old names from CLCV-O are still around.

regards
Trevor
rjpajaron

Post by rjpajaron »

Is
trevorsm wrote:Hi Folks

I am an (old) developer, DB2-Clipper-VO, and have moved on to other things but I have 2 apps still very much in every day use. Every 12 to 18 months I revisit the apps to make minor changes but it's getting more difficult each time trying to remember the language.

One of the apps is an order processing system for a window blind company. The program has been running since 1996 and the company has grown significantly since with more users working remotely (via remote access). I might be wrong but I feel that performance and stability might be improved by switching to a SQL Server or ADS perhaps.

In order to improve the app and provide long-term support I am wondering if there is a UK based developer interested in taking over the app?

BTW, It's good to see that some of the old names from CLCV-O are still around.

regards
Trevor
Do you like a remote developer?

Regards,

Rene
trevorsm

Post by trevorsm »

Hi Rene

I wiill pass your message on to the company owner but I think his preference will be for a local developer.

Best regards
Trevor
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

Trevor,

Are you running it in Terminal Server, RDP?
It will last and over come the remote access.

Clipper thing is dead… these days.
Run DOS a problem.

VO is good in TS for a quite awhile..
But move to XSharp and SQL would be best longer term.

Phil
Phil McGuinness
trevorsm

Post by trevorsm »

Hi Phil

Remote access is via RDPand the app is built using VO2.8 running about 40 databases using CDX indexes with ReportPro, bBrowser libraries. There are about 8 users logged in most of the day with a couple working remotely all on Win10.

regards
Trevor
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

Trevor,, snip [ Remote access is via RDPand the app is built using VO2.8 running about 40 databases using CDX indexes with ReportPro, bBrowser libraries. There are about 8 users logged in most of the day with a couple working remotely. ]

Good should work for ever... I have many many systems like this and can tell you IT guys bit foreign.. no SQL worry worry. One guy said this is the most reliable easy to maintain system across all IT infrastucture he supports.

Where I would go with this is POSGRES as Dataserver to replace as you can use everything else without change. Then write a webfront end replacement for VO or XSHARP. This is where we are going. Currently porting larger VO app to PHP and Wordpress using same Postgres back end.

Phil
Phil McGuinness