Visual Studio 2019 New project choice plugin

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
ic2

Post by ic2 »

For those of you using VS 2019 and not knowing this:

I finally installed VS 2019, as it seems with remarkably no (yet) visible issues. There are 2 changes which are generally unpopular.

One is that the menu is using the main window bar (this can be switched of with Tools/Options
Environment/Preview features Use compact menu and search bar (uncheck and restart).

The other is that the New project option presents all possible projects in one big listbox. Criticized by many, including Robert, on https://developercommunity.visualstudio ... /view.html (and many more subjects there) - but there is a nice solution: a plugin bringing back the 2017 way of opening projects, selectable after installing via Tools >> Options >> Classic Project Dialog

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/it ... jectDialog

Should of course have been offered by the VS team in the first place. But Microsoft has never been good at doing what the users want.

Dick
Karl-Heinz

Post by Karl-Heinz »

Hi Dick,

What a waste of time and money. They are unnecessarily playing around with a dialog since months, trying to convince the world how great the new (horrible) UI is. Unbelievable ...

My two favorite comments: :lol:

Matt Downing says:

How can we get assistance to the people who created VS's new "New Project" dialog? It is clearly a cry for help. Obviously users' first thoughts would be to give the "New Project" dialog team training in basic UI design, but I think it's important to go deeper & discover why the team would want to hurt others in this way. With maybe years of counselling they could some day be useful to society.

Yordan says:

The UI team involved into Windows 10 and VS 2019 shall be send to grow potatos, and forbiden to code anything for ethernity !

regards
Karl-Heinz
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Karl-Heinz,

I wouldn't trust the potatoes they'd produce :)

The point is that they often don't have a clue about how/what developers (or users in general) think. E.g. in https://developercommunity.visualstudio ... ent-900822 , one of the complaint posts, they ask:

"would you be able to explain what exactly makes it harder to find a project template, maybe with an example? That would help us better triage this suggestion. "
later followed by
"Unfortunately, we haven’t received enough information to fully understand this suggestion."

As I wrote in my comment: they should have offered both options. Same for W8/10. For a long time I relied on the Classic Shell Menu. When most disadvantages were solved, a year or so back, I use the W10 start menu, but Classic Shell menu is still installed (although not further maintained) because it's much quicker to add shortcuts too and also because it's much quicker to browse through when I need a seldom used program from which I do not know the exact name. Microsoft should have offered both options as well, 3rd party developers show that this is not so difficult.

Dick