Welcome from the UK

We encourage new members to introduce themselves here. Get to know one another and share your interests.
lagi

Welcome from the UK

Post by lagi »

Hi All,

My Name is Lagi, Eraklis (or Hercules) doesn't go down too mwell in the playground ;-)

A long time Xbase user (never Dbase -as it was not really good enough in my opinion ...)

I I started with 6800 Assembly language, ( a LoOOO..ng time ago) and started writing business software on an Apple 2 with UCSD Pascal , then moved to the PC with Turbo Pascal - Clipper Autumn 86 -> Clipper 5 FoxDos, Foxpro ..... Visual Foxpro 9 ( with a Bit of C, Delphi, C++ Builder VB in between as projects dictated).

Lately I've been doing everything in Livecode (mobile and desktop). (Servoy, Lianja and Alpha 5 have their own problems.

But you can't beat VFP for desktop database stuff (connected to Oracle for greater than 2G tables), so finding Xsharp got me drooling.

I have spent a few hours trying to get a simple "hello world" form with a button and an edit field to run and have hit a roadblock - I will post my question in the forum separately.

I will be watching and following with bated breath

Lagi
wriedmann

Welcome from the UK

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Lagis,
welcome here!
Wolfgang
P.S. Your name sounds greek to me....
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
lagi

Welcome from the UK

Post by lagi »

THank you , and yes it is Wolfgang it is. And in over 40 years of developing and going to conferences (even abroad) I haven't met another Greek programmer - And now I find two on the dev team ;-)

Lagi

p.s. All my relatives are either Accountants, Lawyers or into Fish and Chips ..... I was the one that got away.
wriedmann

Welcome from the UK

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Lagi,
And now I find two on the dev team
....and that is about 50% of the entire development team <g>.

This is why I asked...

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
Chris

Welcome from the UK

Post by Chris »

Hi Lagi (well, you asked for it! ;) )
lagi wrote:Hi All,

My Name is Lagi, Eraklis (or Hercules) doesn't go down too mwell in the playground ;-)
Haha, I understand you too well! I once attempted to use my real name (Christos/Χρήστος - sort of spelled "Hreestos" in English) in the forums, conferences etc, but it did not work well at all, so I have also gone the route of the quick and easy "Chris"! Occasionally I do get the comment "'Chris' does not sound very Greek!" :)

Welcome here!
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
lagi

Welcome from the UK

Post by lagi »

And yet Christopher (Christophoros) is a Greek name meaning bearer of Christ - go figure?

Lagi

p.s. while I'm at it can I ask a question?

I ran the example form program and added an extra button (doing a copy ) and then renaming bioth to btnDoit and btnExit - and I renamed the click methods but when I double click the methods okbutton1click get added back and I cant
seem to get the buttons to reference the new click names - I cant find seem to find a way to "cleanup" the code
Chris

Welcome from the UK

Post by Chris »

You need to go the Properties window (after selecting the control), select the "Events" page, then double click on the first one ("Click") on the right. It will be editable now, just rename it to use the new name you used.
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
Terry

Welcome from the UK

Post by Terry »

So that's why the Greeks gave us the word pragmatikos.

Terry
lagi

Welcome from the UK

Post by lagi »

Forget about everything else that they gave us - I'm quite happy that adding Vowels to the the Phoenician alphabet means tht w dnt hv t gss wht y th wrds n ths sntnc rlly r ;-)

Lagi