new compiler - v 2.9 ..... issues !?

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
Phil Hepburn

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi Robert,

possible issues / problems with the latest v 2.9 compiler.

I have just downloaded the new (latest) compiler you posted for download today.

After install (and a couple of system re-starts) I have a VS 2017 RC which will load and nearly also loads the app I have been developing for Cologne.

The SE pane shows the folder / file structure of the solution, but then after a few more seconds I get error dialogs etc., etc. I have made some screen shots of what happens but will leave those until tomorrow, or if you need them.

The main point of this post is to say that my app code has not done this even once while I was using the older compiler with the same version of VS and Windows 10.

I am using build 15019 of Windows 10 - but that seemed OK with the earlier compiler. Done a lot with it in the last couple days, after the new Win10 build was installed.

Hope this helps somewhat, let me know what I can do to help rectify things. As things stand I can't code LINQ stuff unless I revert back to 2.8b and I don't really wish to do that.

Good Luck,
Phil.

Best regards,
Phil.
RvdH_errors_01.jpg
RvdH_errors_01.jpg (81.97 KiB) Viewed 331 times
RvdH_errors_02.jpg
RvdH_errors_02.jpg (70.51 KiB) Viewed 331 times
RvdH_errors_03.jpg
RvdH_errors_03.jpg (68.36 KiB) Viewed 331 times
robert

Post by robert »

Phil,

Come on, you can do better than this. Do you really think we can solve this problem based on your message and these images? You have to give us more info:

- Which version of VS2017 RC are you running (version numbers are on the Help About)
- Can we get a copy of your solution ?
- I do not think that the version of the OS has something to do with the problem.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
Phil Hepburn

Post by Phil Hepburn »

OK Robert - of cause you are right - BUT - I was on my way to bed at the time ;-0))

Also I have found that my RC version of Visual Studio does the same with quite a simple test solution I made recently for an X# test I did.

Attached 'Help About' is to save me making copied typos :-
RvdH_errors_11.jpg
RvdH_errors_11.jpg (24.27 KiB) Viewed 331 times
And the other two attached files are of the very simple test/demo solution I made recently for testing Union extended method syntax. This simple app also causes my VS 2017 to close down.
RvdH_errors_13.jpg
RvdH_errors_13.jpg (80.04 KiB) Viewed 331 times
RvdH_errors_12.jpg
RvdH_errors_12.jpg (39.29 KiB) Viewed 331 times
Here is a link to my OneDrive folder which has the zipped form of the LINQ app I have been developing over the last number of weeks. It has both zipped solutions - Union and LINQ.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AiCBl-gBWjY9grdkHbqDFXnoHnX89w

Hope this helps - let me know what else I can do to help at this end.

Cheers,
Phil.
Phil Hepburn

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi Robert - YES - I know this app is C# .......

But it did not cause my RC 2017 VS to crash before the new compiler update.

HTH,
Phil.
robert

Post by robert »

Phil,
This is what I found so far:

- I was able to reproduce this with an older VS 2017 RC. Not with the latest.
- You are not running the latest version of VS 2017 . The latest version is 15.0.0.-RC.3+26127.0
- The error does not occur in the X# code but in C# code. We have included the latest System.Reflection.Metadata.dll which apparently the Roslyn based intellisense on your machine does not like.
- I suggest you update the VS 2017 installer (http://aka.ms/vs2017-rc) and try again.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
Phil Hepburn

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Thanks Robert,

Am in the process of updating it now - I used your link.

I and using the Professional version - not the Community or Enterprise version.

Taking a bit of a time however ;-0)

Cheers,
Phil.

P.S. I will keep you posted !
Phil Hepburn

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi Robert,

Well, the new update / install of the latest RC version of Visual Studio did the trick for me.

I now seem to have a stable VS platform and my developing LINQ app in X# works even better than before.

I say 'better' since the test code for 'Union' shown in line 179 now works when it did not in the compiler / parser combination before 2.9 was installed here on my PC. Notice, no blue colour on the second 'Union' as it previously had been.

I will now give intellisense and the rest of the integration a bit of a test etc..

Thanks for listening, and thanks for solving my problem, just make sure others know to install the very latest of RC 2017 VS.

Oh! and by the way, I admire your optimism regarding Windows 10 and VS - I can report that a few builds of 'Insider' Win10 ago we had an OS which did not play well with VS - it was quite fragile and predictable in its unpredictability about closing down, generally not very nice. I reported this back to MS via the Insider 'hub'. They seemed to solve the problem in the next release (big difference), and now for a few weeks things have been great - till last evening / night.

Speak soon, and thanks again for your swift and prompt response.

Phil.
Wales, UK. 
Phil Hepburn

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Whoops ! - should have included this in the last post :-
RvdH_errors_21.jpg
RvdH_errors_21.jpg (36.35 KiB) Viewed 331 times
Look at line 179 ...........

Phil.