VO Compatible Arithmetic in X#

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Chris,
I have opened a new thread in the forums to answer to your website article.

And here is my opinion: please don't loose time to emulate this strange behavior!
Maybe invest the time to analys current code either through the XPorter/VO or with a separate tool to find problematic places in VO code.

Wolfgang
P.S. I'm currently helping an Italian customer to migrate his large VO 2.5 application to 2.8, and I'm really wondering how many things that make no sense were allowed by VO or sometimes are threated in a completely illogic manner
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
FFF

Post by FFF »

Wolfgang,
i'd second to "drop" this - although, i'm probably not qualified to talk, as a quick search all in my projects shows only a handful of "BYTES" ;)

Chris, what about the bigger types? "WORD" i find quite more... most are holding return vals from windows dialogs, so should be unproblematic.
Maybe it might make sense to build a tool to list "operations" on this types...
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
SHirsch

Post by SHirsch »

Hi,

I am happy that you find this. In some old codes a I wondered about some strange arithmetic behaviours.
I had to refactor code like this:

Code: Select all

n := BYTE(250) + BYTE(10) + BYTE(1)
to this:

Code: Select all

n := BYTE(250) + BYTE(10)
n := n + BYTE(1)
to have correct results.

My opinion: keep the dotnet standard.

Stefan
Chris

Post by Chris »

Guys,

This has to do with all 3 types BYTE, WORD and SHORT. Everywhere you are using them in calculations, in some cases results (intermediate or final ones) might be overflowing to 8 bits or 16 bits and in other cases they may not. If you are using them just to store values, without doing calculations with them (or your calculations use small enough numbers so that they never overflow), then there is no potential problem.
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
Terry

Post by Terry »

Hi Chris

There are some things (sets of incompatibilities) that will simply defy all means of resolution within compiler logic.

If this is the case here, I'd suggest separate packages which effectively poke their noses back into the source code and amend as required.

They'd only be used once by those who need them to get everything "XSharped", or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Terry