.Net core version in Public build?

Have some feedback and input to share?
Don't be shy and drop us a note. We want to hear from you and strive to make our site better and more user friendly for our guests and members a like.
Jamal

Post by Jamal »

Hi Dev Team,

What is the point of not including now the .Net core version of the compiler in the public build other than Fox subscribers? Isn't .Net Core the future, and ultimately will be included?
Besides, development of the .NET Framework itself has been halted except for bug fixes.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Jamal,

What .Net core version? I am not sure, but I do not even think there will be a "special" version needed for that at all.
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
Jamal

Post by Jamal »

Hi Chris,

I am commenting about the following in the public build announcement:
We have just released the public installer for XSharp Cahors 2.5b
The complete readme with the description of the changes can be found here.
This is the same build as the subscribers build, with the exception that subscribers get a slightly faster compiler, a .Net core version of the compiler and debug versions of the runtime assemblies to aid in tracking errors
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Jamal,

Oh, thanks, I honestly did not notice this! I am surprised we actually had to generate a separate compiler for .Net core, and I do not remember discussing about making it available only for subscribers at first (but I do forget a lot of things :)), so will let Robert comment on that.

But, it any case, as a general comment, I think you will agree that it makes sense to give some goodies first (and sometimes only) to subscribers, as they are the people who allow us to put all that time and effort that we are putting on the product. Btw, the compiler speed improvement that subscribers get is around 60% faster than the public one, and this speed difference is due to building the public version in debug mode, while the "private" one is built in release mode with all optimizations enabled.
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
robert

Post by robert »

Jamal,
Let me help clarify this:
- the X# compiler in the public build can build apps for .Net Framework, .Net Core, Xamarin or Mono, provided you give it the right reference assemblies (which is not trivial for .Net Core)
- The X# compiler itself is also a .Net program. The public build contains a version of the compiler that runs on the .Net Framework. The Fox installer also includes a version of the compiler that runs on the .Net Core runtime. You would need this compiler to compile apps on a Linux machine that has .Net Core installed.

We are working on a version of our VS Project System and build system to make it easier to create .Net Core apps with X#.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
Jamal

Post by Jamal »

Robert,

Thanks for the clarification!