Interesting X# discussion

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
Loy2888

Post by Loy2888 »

Hey Guys,

I came across this website below while google searching and found this discussion about X# very interesting:

https://support.west-wind.com/Thread5U70W2EQW.wwt

Anyone here using Web Connect? Take a look at this link, maybe your opinions, insights, and ideas matters here :)

Cheers,

Loy
FFF

Post by FFF »

Can't help to notice, that Rick touts rather harsh statements over a product he obviously hasn't looked at even for 5 minutes - e.g. not knowing it's open source tells a lot...
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
robert

Post by robert »

Karl,
I don't know if he has looked at the product, but indeed a remark like "And even if it was open source I doubt there would be enough interest for enough energy to push it forward." seems to suggest that he hasn't looked.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
FFF

Post by FFF »

Exactly. And a lot of the reasoning is on the same level...
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
Chris

Post by Chris »

I'd say not focus on the negative :)

People who have actually used or closely seen X# do point out in the thread that X# is indeed much more than just a language to recompile VFP code, it is using the .Net framework, which is nothing like an "obscure" technology. And it is even possible to use a simple tool to directly translate X# binaries to c# code, this needs to be pointed out as well.

I think Rick's main point is that people should move away from any kind XBase development in general, the negative comments are not really directed against X# specifically. But that's a very "easy" argument to make, there are many reasons to stay with XBase. One is the existence of a huge amount of (proven to work) code that can't be "simply" rewritten. Another is how beautiful and productive it is for many of us to write XBase code.

Personally I cannot stand writing or even reading either c++ or c# code, I do all my development in X# (be it for X# itself or for other projects or just personal tools) and stay completely away from c# and hope to always keep doing that. Horses for courses though, I would not tell other people what they MUST do, everyone can just make their own research and decide for themselves what best suits them.
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
Terry

Post by Terry »

Hi Chris
I agree with you 100%.

But consider your point “everyone can just make their own research and decide for themselves what best suits them.”

How long did it take you to reach a level of understanding to enable you make your own decision?

I won’t say “as things get more and more complex”, rather “as things become ever broader in scope”, so that a “research/make up your own mind” approach takes longer and longer.
That is why I feel a different approach to things is needed. That is why, in this and other threads, I try to emphasize an approach that puts understanding to the fore, and initially at least, bypasses the need to tackle the details of coding.

That is the way nature does it. Jump in at the deep end and “grow understanding within it”. Nature is always the best model.

Terry
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Terry,

Oh, it didn't take much time to me, maybe around a couple weeks playing around with .Net and soon realized that this is a perfect platform to develop with (for my own preferences at least). Next decision was the language thing, my preferences would be a pascal or XBase-style language to program with, so that was easy as well. What took a bit more time was developing an IDE that works the way I want it to, under this new environment ;)
Chris Pyrgas

chris(at)xsharp.eu
Terry

Post by Terry »

That's great - the reasoning will be the same for many. But that's fine for all those who are familiar with the "new" (.NET) environment in the first place. What about time spent on CULE, VO etc.? Many newcomers won't have that background to fall back on.

Terry
Chris

Post by Chris »

That's what I meant, after spending a week on CULE (wow, that was over 15 years ago!), I decided .Net is going to be it, with an XBase language.

If you are talking about moving from a mainstream language to X#, indeed this is not likely to happen people just by themselves. But if a company with X# apps needs to hire more people to maintain and or extend them, it will not be really difficult for a c# programmer to take the job if he/she wants. Almost everything will be the what they are already used to, except for the language syntax. It's nothing like taking c++ programmers and asking them to develop apps in VO or FoxPro...
Chris Pyrgas

chris(at)xsharp.eu
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi all,

and what nobody should forget about X#: it is very easy to combine it with actually running VO or VFP applications!
Most of my VO applications are using X# code in the one or the other manner, and I have several X# background services running to connect the data of VO applications to web services or other data.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it