Programming Issues that turn in Chit-Chat

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
Jamal

Post by Jamal »

May be it is just me and or a little cranky, and yes I am not the forum police, but if you think this directed at you, then you probably know it is you! B) I just find it inappropriate to turn posts about programming issues into long posts that are more about some philosophy. This does not really contribute to solving the questions at hand, and thus the real issue is now obscured. Such posts should go into Chit-Chat.

My 2 little cents!
robert

Post by robert »

Jamal,
If you have an example, please let us know and we'll move the thread over to chit-chat.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
Jamal

Post by Jamal »

Robert,

I emailed you privately.

Thanks!
Terry

Post by Terry »

Hi Jamal
Yes – I can see where you’re coming from. As I am probably one of the guilty parties in your eyes, and as your comment was meant seriously, it deserves a serious response.
If I am indeed guilty, then I make no apologies for it. What you appear to be saying is probably inevitable anyway and is due to in part to mother nature herself.

The fact is that humans have a natural way of communicating information between themselves. It is a way that is actually enforced.

Naturally it is between two people. Not 3 or 4 or anything else. However, Forums such as this have extended participation to many, across distance and national borders. We all think differently, I hope you’ll agree.
Conveying information (between two) requires Question and Answer until a common understanding exists – it is incumbent upon each person to try and see things as the other person does so that the Q&A session can converge in agreement. (Of course, what is agreed may be either correct or wrong. That is why in any modelling situation 3 or more are needed. But, yes I’m guilty now of digressing.)
It follows, surely, that the more complex an issue becomes, the finer the detail of the points required for mutual understanding becomes.
To you that may appear to be unwarranted philosophy.
To me it appears to be totally justified and, as things get more complex, necessary.
It is very easy, when explanations get a bit difficult or there is no chance of establishing common ground to just stop participating. That way we all lose.
My 2 little cents!
Terry
robert

Post by robert »

Terry,
I tend to agree with Jamal that we should try to avoid digressing in programmer's forums.
For me it works like this:
the longer the message gets, the less likely I am to read it and reply to it.
And some of your messages are indeed very long and always to the point.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
Terry

Post by Terry »

Hi Robert

OK and yes I do agree with what Jamal and yourself are saying. Fair criticism.

What I would say is that I think that sometimes coming at things from a different perspective helps to clarify a lot.

Differentiating to the satisfaction of all, between what I may regard as "going into things in finer detail" and others may consider "unnecessary philosophy" or even "waffle", is rather more difficult.

Terry
Jamal

Post by Jamal »

Hey Terry,

You see I don't have the time to read through long posts unless they are relevant and do not digress and I think many are in the same situation; I subscribe to posts I write or participate in, then I receive email responses which are irrelevant and I have wade through the long post to see if it adds useful info to help solve the problem. If it is just ramblings, I just wasted my time.
If you are ever on Stack overflow, when replies to programming questions digress or deviate, then are usually voted down or removed by moderators. I think keeping it focused benefits the current participants and others who are looking for answers or solutions for years to come.

Having said the above, I have no issue reading Chit-Chat posts because I expect them to be as such and they can be useful or not; At least my anticipation is not shaken and/or participation is not digressing and even it if it does, it is still in the right section of the forum.

Peace! ;)
Terry

Post by Terry »

Hi Jamal

Yes - I do understand and totally agree with you. However when you get time I would suggest you ponder long and hard on how nature allows each and everyone of us to work together and "communicate understanding" in this 3-Dimensional world of ours. Nature knows best and that is my starting point. None of us "sees" things in exactly the same way as anyone else, and acceptance of that is equally important.

Natures way can also lead to miss-understandings when individuals interpret things in different ways as they inevitably will.

Terry