Session of last week "X# and future .Net versions"

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
ic2

Post by ic2 »

I watched the session of last week "Beginner Level: X# and future .Net versions". Although interesting (thank you again for your time Robert!), my first impression: it doesn't look too hopefully if going to .Net 5 involves obscure command based tools and trying to solve .exe's not running using other obscure tools. And if Robert can't solve the cause of items not running in minutes it will probably mean days for me...

But maybe it's easier than it looked from the presentation. Do I summarize this correctly:

To prepare a program to compile in .Net5 I have to open the project file = the .xspoj file for X# and hack it:

- Add <TargetFramework>net5.0</TargetFramework>
- Add <UseWindowsForms> True and/or <UseWindowsWPF>
- Add Encoding.RegisterProvider(CodePagesEncodingProvider.Instance) in your program

I also saw something about a registry addition which was needed but couldn't find it back in the YouTube video.

Is this a correct conclusion?

If so:

1) Why can't I just set that in a property page like I do for e.g. .Net 4.7? When I need to start hacking XML files and use prompt based utilities it usually adds a factor 10 to the time I need to get it working
2) Why does (only?) using the registry require additional manual changes? Or in other words: what is so special about the registry that it doesn't work in .Net5 without extra manual work?

Dick
robert

Post by robert »

Dick

This is not correct. When we have our vs integration ready then it will just be a case of choosing a target framework.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Robert,
robert wrote:Dick

This is not correct. When we have our vs integration ready then it will just be a case of choosing a target framework.

Robert
May I suggest then not to call it a beginners session? If I understand it correctly this time the session merely demonstrated how one could compile X# programs against .Net5 without this VS integration ready.

I'd say that most users, especially beginners, prefer to wait to switch to .Net5 until the integration is ready :)

Dick
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Dick,
this was me that has asked Robert on how X# can be used to build .NET 5 applications, and then Robert proposed to make a session about it.
For me, and for most partecipants I think, it was very useful to understand how things are working.
It is well documented how to make C# applications with .NET 5, but how to make this using X# was beyond my capabilites.
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Wolfgang,

Please don't see my remark as a negative comment. What I learned, partly also from replies in this forum, is that .Net5 should make it easier to deploy programs for other systems than only a Windows Pc and that you needn't worry about users on an older framework while still being able to use the latest additions.

However, as I had the impression from the session that X# & .Net5 would be quite a challenge. And you can't possibly call yourself a beginner.

I for me certainly consider .Net5 but not until I can do that with one simple setting in VS ;)

Dick
mainhatten

Post by mainhatten »

Hi Robert,
robert wrote:This is not correct. When we have our vs integration ready then it will just be a case of choosing a target framework.
interesting video showing a few of the other fronts you have to work on. Myself trying to make sense of MS plans, changes and capabilities pls give a sanity check to my current take on things and the expected fallout for xSharp:

Plan was to integrate Xamarin in .Net 5 in first half of 2020, but that was dropped ?
Upgrading xSharp to compile .Net5 projects would have enabled Android/iOS console apps using local RDDs and remote servers ?
But integrating mobile development in .Net5 was cancelled by MS and is now scheduled for .Net 6 ?
Android/Raspi/iOS as targets of xSharp are still alive, but will run at the earliest time in .Net6 ?
And only if MS unifies Xamarin and .Net (what used to be Core) to avoid unDRY effort ?

Blazor targeting web based PWA as well as desktop and mobile GUI based on web tech, but less stack overhead than Electron ? Xamarin.Forms at the moment given much love, targeting iOS, Android, Mac and Windows destops - but Linux/Mono dropped there ?

By .Net6 one can decide if it is easier to add Xamarin.Forms and/or Blazor output to vfp exporter or create a common minimal GUI subset for all Form libs ?

Personally I think Android setback is a bummer - but MS targets often shifted direction in midflight.
Which of the newer C# features (personal pref still default methods in interfaces...) will xSharp get as a compiler (or at least consumer) ?

A 1-page roadmap with next targets and milestones for xSharp (including necessary groundwork in .NetXX to be available) including such not-so-clearly visible tasks as integrating in Xide ans VS would be nice, esp. if checked/versioned every 3 months and put prominently under menu entry under "Articles" - probably all here (vfp coders perhaps more than others) have been bitten by MS plans and changes, so we expect roadmap changes - we can clearly see progress in other areas.

my 0.22€
thomas