Welcome!

We encourage new members to introduce themselves here. Get to know one another and share your interests.
Anonymous

Welcome!

Post by Anonymous »

[left]
Welcome to the XSharp forums!
This website holds both public forums and private forums.
To post or reply to messages on the public forum you must create a user account.
The private forums are available to users with a valid subscription only.
[/left]

Robert van der Hulst
Craig Dawson

Welcome!

Post by Craig Dawson »

Hi All,
Craig Dawson here - "Smokey" to my friends.
XSharp is very interesting and sounds like a great compiler.
I've been programming since back in the 80's (yes from DBase III and Clipper) and have a business with a world wide customers base nowadays from my VO 2.8 code which thanks to a great compiler, never breaks.
I have attended Devcons in Germany, USA and Australia and some may remember me.
If XSharp's compiler can be as reliable as VO 2.8's, I'll be a convert for sure.
All the best to the new venture and I hope that it brings about success for all.
Craig Dawson.
Control Information Systems - Australia.
Otto

Welcome!

Post by Otto »

Hi all, Otto Christiaanse from The Netherlands here.

Getting our VO source to the .NET realm is our goal, Vulcan is our current path, but we want to keep in sync with .NET FW and VS versions capabilities.

For a new (old) language it means that there must be substantial effort put in the product and support. Which means there must be a substantial community and a team with mettle and knowledge.

I have good hope it can unite the communities of the different dialects. If that's the case I have high hopes for XSharp (higher than for any individual predecessor until now).

And I have hopes it can also server and attract new programmers from e.g. VB.

To accomplish this, there must be put effort in publicity and discussions to convince the communities to back this effort.

Best regards
Otto Christiaanse
robert

Welcome!

Post by robert »

Otto,

We need guys like you and Craig to promote our project.
We cannot do this alone.
Without revealing too much: we are going to announce a new XSharp Community Program in the coming week. Part of this program will be a subscription system for XSharp, similar to VPS, which will not only cover XSharp support but VO and Vulcan.NET support as well.

Robert
OooO wrote:Hi all, Otto Christiaanse from The Netherlands here.

Getting our VO source to the .NET realm is our goal, Vulcan is our current path, but we want to keep in sync with .NET FW and VS versions capabilities.

For a new (old) language it means that there must be substantial effort put in the product and support. Which means there must be a substantial community and a team with mettle and knowledge.

I have good hope it can unite the communities of the different dialects. If that's the case I have high hopes for XSharp (higher than for any individual predecessor until now).

And I have hopes it can also server and attract new programmers from e.g. VB.

To accomplish this, there must be put effort in publicity and discussions to convince the communities to back this effort.

Best regards
Otto Christiaanse
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
Otto

Welcome!

Post by Otto »

Robert wrote:Otto,
which will not only cover XSharp support but VO and Vulcan.NET support as well.
Now you're making me very interested!
frinchis

Welcome!

Post by frinchis »

Hi everybody!
I'm Carlos Vazquez. I've been in VOPS in the beginning of it but gave it up some years ago. Still using VO 2.8 for my daily work, and not seeing the end of it... From time to time I do some things with C# or Vulcan to overcome some limitations I encounter.
After receiving an email from you today and having a look at yout goals, I'm looking at this project with eyes wide open.
Wish you the best luck and will be around here for sure... Your success is my success, if you know what I mean.
Thipacu

Welcome!

Post by Thipacu »

Hello everybody,

I am Nico Pronk and have worked with Vo for years until version 2.73 together with Fdw and a litte with Ed. Before that it was all clipper.
I dont know if i am gonna do something new. It depends what my next job will be. Still I am interested in vo/xbase and maybe I can contribute. Let me now Robert. You know some of my work.
Patrick GERARD

Welcome!

Post by Patrick GERARD »

Hi All,
I'm sure thousands anonymous developpers are reading this post with curiosity. We all hope that VO/Vulcan (All Xbase languages in fact) survives. For that, we need a strong team, which guide us and bring us documentation, support... and we will be more.
I (we) wish you the best. We will be just around, in the darkness, with gratitude.
Patrick.
robert

Welcome!

Post by robert »

Nico,

Thanks for the offer.
At this moment almost all the work is very low level.
I expect that to change once the core language has been released.

Robert
Thipacu wrote:Hello everybody,

I am Nico Pronk and have worked with Vo for years until version 2.73 together with Fdw and a litte with Ed. Before that it was all clipper.
I dont know if i am gonna do something new. It depends what my next job will be. Still I am interested in vo/xbase and maybe I can contribute. Let me now Robert. You know some of my work.
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
robert

Welcome!

Post by robert »

Patrick,

Thousands ? I wish that was true, but I am afraid it is more like hundreds (when Google Analytics is right at least)
Still we are extremely happy with the very positive response so far.

Robert
PGerard wrote:I'm sure thousands anonymous developpers are reading this post with curiosity. We all hope that VO/Vulcan (All Xbase languages in fact) survives. For that, we need a strong team, which guide us and bring us documentation, support... and we will be more.
I (we) wish you the best. We will be just around, in the darkness, with gratitude.
Patrick.
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu