Successful Conversion to X# 2.5b

Public support forum for peer to peer support with related to the Visual Objects and Vulcan.NET products
rjpajaron

Post by rjpajaron »

Hello Gentlemen,

I finally completed the porting of our very large VO apps to X#. There are remaining issues left to deal with but I already passes the most difficult part.

All apps are running good. I have 3 months allocated for testing. I think it could be less than I expected. X# 2.5b rocks!

Due to pandemic that hit us so bad, I stop X# dev, and resume VO adding features here and there and when I completed it last August, I resume X# conversion using latest VO codebase, and follow my December 2019 experience and it was less drama, somehow 2.5b is very big improvement.

Today, I have healthy X# code.

Next issues I need to deal with is FabTwain and imaging. Replace this or get new ones. It seems mine is now working.

Next up is ReportPro3. It is not working. I cannot load report. RP354Xs210clr4 is not working either.

Question:
1. Do we need to upgrade to latest ReportPro 3? How much?
2. bBrowser - I already updated to latest assemblies this morning and it is all good. Is there a roadmap that requires us to pay for upgrade?

I am preparing budget for our next phase. For now, I am now recommending to our team to join FOX.

Recap: I cannot load ReportPro. What I have is RP354Xs210.

We will join the FOX. I can convince my team that X# is way to go.

Thanks,

Rene
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Rene,

Thanks a lot for your information and nice words, it is always great to hear success stories! :)

And yes, indeed X# been improving month by month also in the VO compatibility aspect. Especially since last December that you mentioned, this is when we had a team meeting in Athens and among other things we sat together seeing in practice several issues that VO developers were having with porting their apps in X#, decided how to further improve this and the results is what you see today.

Regarding RP3, this should be working. Can you please tell us exactly which RP3 for X# package file have you downloaded and which date was that?
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
Stavros Spanos

Post by Stavros Spanos »

Very good news. How do u deal importing OCX controls that inherit OLEOBJECT from VO to X#??
Chris

Post by Chris »

HI Stavros,

Depends on the specific control. For some, it may make sense to create a new windows forms form to contain them, instead of a VO window, which is usually pretty easy. If it is necessary to put them inside a VO window, then usually a trick can be used, with using a container custom control, which hosts a winforms version of the OCX control. Which controls are you interested in?

Btw, please also have a look in the X# help file, at the Migrating apps from VO to X# -> Example 5:OCX topic, for some more hands in info. Actually everybody that plans to port their VO apps need to read very well all the topics under the "Migrating apps" help section.
Chris Pyrgas

chris(at)xsharp.eu
Stavros Spanos

Post by Stavros Spanos »

Thanks a lot Chris. We are working on it...

Unfortunatelly we deal with more than 30 controls - some of them really complicated (f.e. Codejock or DBI Calendar)
Stavros Spanos

Post by Stavros Spanos »

Chris wrote: If it is necessary to put them inside a VO window, then usually a trick can be used, with using a container custom control, which hosts a winforms version of the OCX control. Which controls are you interested in?
Thanks chris.
Please can u give an example of the trick you refer to?
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Stavros,

Looks like nobody ever reads the docs, even after being strongly advised to do so :)
Please do read the help file topic that I mentioned (Example 5: OCX - The Email Client Example), it explains exactly that! And the same trick can be used for several controls.
Chris Pyrgas

chris(at)xsharp.eu
Stavros Spanos

Post by Stavros Spanos »

Chris wrote:Hi Stavros,

Looks like nobody ever reads the docs, even after being strongly advised to do so :)
Please do read the help file topic that I mentioned (Example 5: OCX - The Email Client Example), it explains exactly tat! And the same trick can be used for several controls.
hello chris, well i have an update to this problem.
our developers followed the example, and tried to import a simple app to X# 2.8c.
we added a winform to host the ocx. but when the class is instatiated a runtime WC error is thrown

Code: Select all

CLASS OrbitChilkatHttp_external_class INHERIT CustomControl
EXPORT oControl as AxChilkatHttp
EXPORT oHost as OrbitChilkatHttp
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Stavros,

What is the error message? Can you please create a small repro sample?
Chris Pyrgas

chris(at)xsharp.eu
Kees Bouw

Re: Successful Conversion to X# 2.5b

Post by Kees Bouw »

Stavros,

In the code below there is a reference to Chilkat. We use the Chilkat libraries and there is a .NET version of these that can be used directly in X#. Why bother with the OCX?

Kees.
Stavros Spanos wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:58 am
Chris wrote:Hi Stavros,

Please do read the help file topic that I mentioned (Example 5: OCX - The Email Client Example), it explains exactly tat! And the same trick can be used for several controls.
hello chris, well i have an update to this problem.
our developers followed the example, and tried to import a simple app to X# 2.8c.
we added a winform to host the ocx. but when the class is instatiated a runtime WC error is thrown

Code: Select all

CLASS OrbitChilkatHttp_external_class INHERIT CustomControl
EXPORT oControl as AxChilkatHttp
EXPORT oHost as OrbitChilkatHttp