Outlook 365 Problems

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
TimothyS

Outlook 365 Problems

Post by TimothyS »

Hi Guys,

I have been using OLE from X# to send emails through Outlook. This has worked really well for some years. It was originally done through VO.

HOWEVER! It appears that Microsoft automatically updates Outlook 365. Since the latest update, the application emailing through all my Outlook 365 sites no longer works. It looks like Microsoft has put a block on programmatic access for Outlook 365.

As of today, all the other Outlook sites work fine.

Has anyone had the same experience? Any ideas on how to fix the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Tim
ic2

Outlook 365 Problems

Post by ic2 »

Hello Tim,

Updating their products so they don't work anymore is typically Microsoft. That's why I recommend against using anything from Microsoft with a automatic update and especially I recommend not to buy an Office 365 subscription. Even W10 I update not more than 3-4 x per year and feature updates 6-15 months later.

That being said: can you give some more details? What is your code to send a mail and do you get an error or response code?

Dick
info@task.si

Outlook 365 Problems

Post by info@task.si »

Hi Timothy !
Using Ootlook /Exchange protocol (probably MAPI/RPE) is not the only way for sending emails in VO /X#.
You can use SMTP protocol, there are some samples on the Web. But the coding ( DLL) must than be written in Vulcan or X# if you want to call it from VO. I use SmtpClient class.

Hope it helps, Andrej
ic2

Outlook 365 Problems

Post by ic2 »

Hello Andrej, Timothy,
info@task.si wrote: You can use SMTP protocol, there are some samples on the Web. But the coding ( DLL) must than be written in Vulcan or X# if you want to call it from VO. I use SmtpClient class.
That depends a bit. SMTP is not bound to any mail client. This means that whatever you send using SMTP will not be visible in Outlook unless you use IMAP (or Exchange but for that you need more than SMTP). SMTP can also be used with the VO Internet classes but you won't be able to use Secure SMTP (TLS/SSL). We use Chilkat for that, but .Net System.Net.Mail supports SSL. Not sure if TLS is available in default .Net (and we use that for our own outgoing mail so you may need that too).

Dick
ArneOrtlinghaus

Outlook 365 Problems

Post by ArneOrtlinghaus »

In our company we have Outlook 365 64Bit already for a while. The COM Access for sending emails works as before and also the MAPI Access which did not work in previous Outlook versions. I do not from what this depends, especially I wondered that there is no problem accessing the 64 Bit Outlook from our 32 Bit Programs. Only the ODBC driver used for Excel Access to our database must be 64 Bit.
TimothyS

Outlook 365 Problems

Post by TimothyS »

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for your thoughts. In my app I have the option of SMTP, secure SMTP (port 587), implicit secure SMTP (port 465) and OLE connection to Outlook.

The Outlook OLE object is instantiated as follows:
oOutlook:=OLEAutoObject{"Outlook.Application"}
The routine is simple and has worked flawlessly for years. All the problems are with 365 at this stage. We worked out that Microsoft had created the problem when a user on a multi-user system had complained of the emails not working on her machine. All the the others were fine at the time, but got the same problem on the other machines over the next couple of days. Can't remember the error message, except it was a standard message when an OLE connection doesn't work.
I can change the faulty sites to SMTP etc as a workaround. Tried Googling for the problem and nothing turns up. Must be many thousands out there with a similar problem.

BTW I use the Chilkat library (which Dick uses) for the implicit SMTP. Works a treat and strongly recommended.

Regards,
Tim