minor compiler issue

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
SHirsch

minor compiler issue

Post by SHirsch »

Hello Robert,

the code to reproduce a minor compiler error.

Code: Select all

FUNCTION Start( ) AS VOID
    VAR x := ""
    x := "Test1"
    IF 1==1
        x := "Test2"  //compiler error 'Cannot use local variable 'x' before it is used

VAR x := ""  //redefinition
        x := "Test3"
    ENDIF
RETURN
The error sort order is line by line. So the error that variable x is use before declaration comes before the error of the second declaration of x.
In my current project there were some warnings between the errors (so I didn't saw the second error message). So I tried to solve the first one which is only solvable by deleting or rename the second declaration. After some time I did go on with cleaning the other errors. After deleting the redeclaration of x (which was copy/paste stuff) 'magically' the first error has gone.

Maybe the first error message can be ignored if the variable is declared in enclosing scope.

Stefan
robert

minor compiler issue

Post by robert »

Stefan,

Roslyn (the C# compiler) takes care of these error messages and the order in which they appear.

I know that when "resolving" variables it starts with the innermost "block" which is in this case the statement block inside the IF statement. It apparently finds the VAR x declaration inside this block and sees that you are using x before it is used, so it produces an error. If you had not defined x in this inner block then it would look for the statement list of the Start function and would then successfully resolve x.
I am not sure if we can fix this. We might break something when we start "playing" with this.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
SHirsch

minor compiler issue

Post by SHirsch »

Hi Robert,

understood.
Lesson learned: always have a look at all messages, clean up the obvious ones first.

Stefan