RDD or SQL library based on Ado.Net

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
rjpajaron

Post by rjpajaron »

Hello X# Team,

About time to do this.

Our roadmap for 2021-H2 calls for possibility of Database Replacement from ADS to PostgreSQL.

We have succeeded our 2020-H2 - Port to X# from VO and now in full rollout mode to all users.

Now, I am evaluating on technical point of view: Can we replace ADS with PostgreSQL with minimal code changes (20%) and still allows ReportPro to operate? I have 6 months to evaluate this.

FYI, port to X# requires me up to 30% code adjustments or let us call it "re-writes". It worth it. 4 solid months. Pandemic helps. Less travel. More time on my chair.

Robert, let me know if this timeline is feasible.

--

Rene
robert

Post by robert »

Rene,
I doubt that a "normal" VO program requires 30% code adjustments to run in X#.
Maybe in the core library where the "dirty stuff" is located and in Dispatch methods on windows, but most certainly not in normal business code. Business code should not have more than 10-15 % code changes.

About priorities and planning:
In the next week or so we'll come with a list of topics that we are working on or want to start working on.
We'll publish this on a subscriber forum and ask for feedback (ask our subscribers to choose their 'top 3' of topics)
Based on that we'll set the development priorities.
Additionally customers can pay us (separately) to change priorities on this list.
I can tell you that for the following topics we already have "sponsors":
- VO Compatible UI Classed based on Windows Forms (Unicode & AnyCPU)
- SQL layer and maybe also RDD based on Ado.Net (Unicode and AnyCPU).

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
rjpajaron

Post by rjpajaron »

Hi Robert,

I may consider mine as not "normal".

Seriously though, it was VO that having "weird" and X# so functional.
In my experience, I took the liberty of the power of X# and re-written lots of stuff. That 30% may not the number of lines of code, but let us say: NUMBER OF HOURS SPEND. LOL. For example, I spend 3 days but I only produce one life of code but I deleted more.
I consider delete as "re-written". LOL.
To those who have yet to port to X#, if you're from VO and using bBrowser 3.0. There are a lot of gotchas. I did not document much. I just so many: it works in VO but not on X# and mostly because of bad coding that VO did not check. And because I can't pinpoint the exact fault, I ended up rewriting stuff.

Is this "sponsored" stuff also available to FOXes? I understand that Public Non-FOX eventually get more or less same what FOXes get but time favors the FOXes.

-
Rene
robert

Post by robert »

Rene,
rjpajaron wrote:Hi Robert,
Is this "sponsored" stuff also available to FOXes? I understand that Public Non-FOX eventually get more or less same what FOXes get but time favors the FOXes.
There is already quite a lot of "sponsored" stuff inside X#. For example the Advantage RDD support, the Workarea events and almost all of the XBase++ code.
Some of the new sponsored stuff will be fox FOX subscribers only (like the new UI and SQL classes) or will be made public with a delay.
Other stuff will be part of the public code immediately.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
rjpajaron

Post by rjpajaron »

Hi Robert,

This is great. Good news here: our users notice our X# apps which is now rolling; and I was surprise by one of the first feedbacks:

"It search very fast. Is this normal?"

Me: I think so.

I do inform our users how good X# is but they did not expect it could go faster that much.

Looking forward for new roadmap announcement this year.

--

Rene