VS 2017 Community...

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
FFF

VS 2017 Community...

Post by FFF »

So, followed the link here on "HOME", got the installer, selected for the time being ".net desktop style", and, (seeing, one is now not more forced to install to C:) also got me the Xamarin part, some 40 GB, putting all on my new SSD named "S:".

Some 10min later it was ready & run, didn't know about X# (as was to be expected), so re-ran the beta 9 installer. Restarted VS, noticed some complain about JAVA missing (!?), but let it produce a WPF app from X# template - voila. Great!

Getting adventurous, thought, i might easily get rid of my 2015 install - yes Chris, should know better than to try - so: Control Panel, "Change" - Uninstall, ran smoothly for some minutes, then "completed". Back to desktop still saw my link icon to 2015... - hit it, argh, what starts, VS 2015. Ahem... A quick google for "uninstall vs 2015" leads to tons of hits, folks looking for help, after fighting for days to cleanly remove this nightmare.

Probably it's better to dismiss with the GB it has eaten and ignore its existance ;)
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
wriedmann

VS 2017 Community...

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Karl,

from my experience the best thing to dismiss completely a Visual Studio version is to reinstall the operating system from scratch.... Unfortunately this seems to be the only working thing.
I know a few people that don't like Visual Studio at all (Dick, Chris, myself), but I was very surprised that also a guy like Holger Schwichtenberg had a negative conclusion about the last VS versions ( please see the end of the german article here : https://www.heise.de/developer/artikel/20-Jahre-Visual-Studio-Werkzeuge-kamen-und-gingen-Vielfalt-heute-groesser-denn-je-3645719.html

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
Phil Hepburn

VS 2017 Community...

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi Karl and all,

A little while ago I made a Power Point slides show of these very VS issues.

I can't attach it here as Robert has filtered out '.pptx' file types ;-0((

I have made a live link to my OneDrive folder so that you can download it and see if it helps :-

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AiCBl-gBWjY9g8sJlldhrMshAk8heQ

I did spend some time researching the details for the PPP as well as recording by screen capture what I was doing on my desktop and laptop.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Phil.
Wales, UK.

P.S. let me know if there are any issues / problems.
Phil Hepburn

VS 2017 Community...

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi Dick (thread from the News Group area) and all,

If it is any help Dick, I will post a couple of images here which may help you in a quest to install a stable and fuller version of VS 2017 (public release) onto your desktop.

The details I can share with you are from my main office desktop platform where I have Visual Studio Enterprise installed (latest update using the VS Installer - I like this!) as well as a Professional version of 2015. Sorry I can't help with the Community version, even though I feel that it would install OK and alongside what I already have.

Lets look at what it says I have installed :-
VS2017Installs_01.jpg
VS2017Installs_01.jpg (72.49 KiB) Viewed 261 times
I provide this list for you to do a comparison with yours, if that helps.

And here is my Start option list :-
VS2017Installs_02.jpg
VS2017Installs_02.jpg (37.73 KiB) Viewed 261 times
And the nice new Installer screen - great for getting updates easily - try it often :-
VS2017Installs_03.jpg
VS2017Installs_03.jpg (66.53 KiB) Viewed 261 times
And now a few on-hand details of both VS platforms :-
VS2017Installs_04.jpg
VS2017Installs_04.jpg (157.97 KiB) Viewed 261 times
and finally :-
VS2017Installs_05.jpg
VS2017Installs_05.jpg (173.91 KiB) Viewed 261 times
Dick, is there anything you wish me to search for in the drop list of what is installed ?

Shall I try a new and separate Community 2017 install - using the Installer option ?

Regards to all,
Phil.
Wales, UK.
Phil Hepburn

VS 2017 Community...

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi again Dick and all,

Well, I have installed the Community version of VS 2017 alongside my 2015 Pro and 2017 Enterprise.

The install from the Installer applet went well and everything seemed OK.

Just to give the process a good work-over I opted to do a full workload install - everything!
VS2017Installs_11.jpg
VS2017Installs_11.jpg (16.53 KiB) Viewed 261 times
And now the workload :-
VS2017Installs_12.jpg
VS2017Installs_12.jpg (76.47 KiB) Viewed 261 times
Here is one image of the process whirring away :-
VS2017Installs_13.jpg
VS2017Installs_13.jpg (21.34 KiB) Viewed 261 times
Eventually I had a chance to launch :-
VS2017Installs_14.jpg
VS2017Installs_14.jpg (22.4 KiB) Viewed 261 times
And here is the help screen to provide some proof and some detail of the new version :-
VS2017Installs_15.jpg
VS2017Installs_15.jpg (46.5 KiB) Viewed 261 times
Now then, the problem I found after launch was that X# was not available in the Templates dialog.

Check this :-
VS2017Installs_16.jpg
VS2017Installs_16.jpg (71.19 KiB) Viewed 261 times
So I simply went and installed XSharp once again and made a new selection on the way - see below :-
VS2017Installs_17.jpg
VS2017Installs_17.jpg (61.75 KiB) Viewed 261 times
And soon I had 'lift-off' and the X# template options were there once more :-
VS2017Installs_18.jpg
VS2017Installs_18.jpg (75.95 KiB) Viewed 261 times
And loading the project from my Enterprise version we see this in Community :-
VS2017Installs_19.jpg
VS2017Installs_19.jpg (81.37 KiB) Viewed 261 times
Now then folks - although everything seemed to work A-Okay, I have not given things and extensive trial. But I can report back to you that I have not seen any error messages nor anything else to suggest I have any problems / issues.

Hope this helps and/or informs.

Regards,
phil.
Phil Hepburn

VS 2017 Community...

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi Dick, Karl and all,

Well, it may hurt to admit it, and say so publically (again) but it seems as if Dick is right once again. Remember Dick is the worlds BEST tester, because he can break everything :ohmy:

After playing around on my office desktop with the VS 2017 Installer app, I find myself completely screwed as far as VS 2017 is concerned - check the following image to see the current state of my system :-
Dick2017X_01.jpg
Dick2017X_01.jpg (37.83 KiB) Viewed 261 times
Seems that maybe I too could apply to Microsoft to be a chief tester !

The feelings I have are as follows(no not hate feelings but what is going on feelings) :- there may well be one or more folders which are not removed by the 'Remove' function which are then checked against when the next install is required. The latest log file is so big and detailed as to be of no real value to ordinary guys like myself.

So the BIG summary of this is do NOT remove your 2015 version - this is the only one I now have left working on my desktop. And so I am not going to play around with the laptop installations as I need that for Cologne.

By the way Dick et all, it is not an issue for me as my session material is in other formats than running live VS examples and 'hands on' sessions.

Anyone got any ideas ?

I did try to install all options so that may explain the size contents of the attached text log file - check if you are brave :-
ErrorLogCommAll.txt
(13.71 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Cheers,
Phil.
P.S. looks like I will be woodworking this afternoon ;-0)

Cheers,
Phil.
Wales, UK.
ic2

VS 2017 Community...

Post by ic2 »

Phil Hepburn wrote:Hi Dick, Karl and all,

Well, it may hurt to admit it, and say so publically (again) but it seems as if Dick is right once again. Remember Dick is the worlds BEST tester, because he can break everything :ohmy:

Thank you for the nice words! Although I would have loved to have it working normally.

So the BIG summary of this is do NOT remove your 2015 version - this is the only one I now have left working on my desktop. And so I am not going to play around with the laptop installations as I need that for Cologne.

I didn't remove VS 2015 (otherwise I would have been completely without VS by now) but you may be on the right track. As the problem seemed installing the SDK, I installed that separately. There I got an error again. It goes wrong here:

An error occurred while attempting to create the directory: C:ProgramDataWindows App Certification Kitqps-ploc

This is an existing directory so why would the installer try to create it and fail?

Today I was expecting a reply on my Action Pack included incident (which I posted and then was lost according to Microsoft, unbelievable). However, nothing today. Let's see what happens Friday.

Dick
ic2

VS 2017 Community...

Post by ic2 »

P.S. looks like I will be woodworking this afternoon ;-0)

I've done something completely different. Last month, my 3rd book was published. Not an IT book this time, but a book with 30 chapters about remarkable and often funny things we experienced during our many travels. It's called - translated- World Travel You ... sit and other peculiarities in 57 countries and it gets a lot of press attentions. The 2 largest Dutch newspapers have written about it, today an interview was published. You can see all about it on www.dickvankooten.nl but I am afraid it's all in Dutch for now....

Today I've been visiting a few bookshops instead of sitting behind my PC.

Dick
Phil Hepburn

VS 2017 Community...

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Morning again Dick,

Very interesting your move into being a Travel writer. Some very famous and infamous people have been Travel writers :woohoo:

However, being sensible for a moment, please do remember our friend Ivo Vessel. I have a copy of his wonderful book on VO, the English language version. It is a signed copy of his very thick book.

Now then, the problem is that it is a translation (by a Dutchman) of his German language version, which was hailed as being VERY good. Unfortunately, the book has been of no IT or intellectual value to me at all (sadly) as the translation was absolutely dreadful, hopeless, call it what you will.

So take care if you plan an English version of your new book. Even the title you sent us does not really mean anything in English.

Oh! by the way, I am NOT offering my services to proof read and put things right !!!

All the best,
Phil.
ic2

VS 2017 Community...

Post by ic2 »

Hello Phil,

So take care if you plan an English version of your new book. Even the title you sent us does not really mean anything in English.

The title doesn't mean much in Dutch either <g>. You...sit is a friendly invitation to take a seat as once given by someone in Asia with limited English knowledge. Let's first see how well it sells over here before thinking about English translations. The frequent press attention I have had so far certainly helps.

Oh! by the way, I am NOT offering my services to proof read and put things right !!!

I think I should not choose an IT guy to proof read such a book anyway. But should it ever be translated, I think the text is much easier to translate correctly than IT books from German. The whole style of writing is so different.

All the best back!

Dick