DBF cannot be opened on certain servers

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
ArneOrtlinghaus

Post by ArneOrtlinghaus »

We use DBF only for some special cases.
We have now two computers in our own network where the DBF cannot be opened. (dbfcdx without indexes, small files with few columns)
Sprachen XSharp.Internal.WrappedException: Exception of type 'XSharp.Internal.WrappedException' was thrown.
The two computers are Windows 2019 with Dotnet framework 4.7.2. Another very similar server opens the files normally. Also all other tested computers can open the files normally.
I get the following error messages (we have our own set of basic dlls derived from the last Vulcan version)
   at DbServer.Error(__Usual[] Xs$Args) in E:JenkinsworkspaceBaseLibBaseLibsrcBaseRDDDBServer2.prg:line 1110
   at dbDynamic.InitRDD(__Usual[] Xs$Args) in E:JenkinsworkspaceAcsLibACSLibsrcAcsRDD__VulcandbDynamic.prg:line 747
   at dbDynamic.InitObject(__Usual[] Xs$Args) in E:JenkinsworkspaceAcsLibACSLibsrcAcsRDD__VulcandbDynamic.prg:line 331
The X# dlls including the XSHARP.RDD.DLL could be loaded correctly from the same own directories, so GAC problems are excluded.
There are no other computers that open the file at the same time. With Process Monitor I could verify that the program can access the file.

Does someone has an idea what can be a reason?
Thanks
Arne
ArneOrtlinghaus

Writing about an issue helps opening the brain. I have seen that the users on the problematic computers have only read access to the directory. When copying the file to another directory the file can be opened. When making the file read only, the file cannot be opened. I thought that I opened the file correctly with Readonly access. Should this be possible?
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Arne,

Yes, it should be possible, and I just made a test here opening a read only dbf in read only mode and it seems to work fine. If you can confirm that it doesn't work this way in your case, please post some more details, like what driver you are using, how exactly you are opening it etc.
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
ArneOrtlinghaus

Hi Chris, thank you for verifying so quickly.
I will verify if I pass the readonly correctly to the driver.
Arne
ArneOrtlinghaus

It works, thanks. Our modifications for X# did not forward the readonly flag correctly to the basic classes.
Arne
Chris

Post by Chris »

Oh, that's all good then, thanks for your feedback!
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu