For Newbies Only

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
Terry

For Newbies Only

Post by Terry »

As anyone who has read some of my posts here will know, I have made the point that any running application can be visualized as a dynamic entity running in a 3-dimensional environment.

This is quite easy to see if you consider that your application code must run in computer memory separated by memory location (space) and sequentially (time). If it did not, blocks of code would interfere with each other causing chaos. Time and Space are factors that are inextricably linked together.

For those that are new to .Net this may seem to be of little consequence, or an irritating extra when trying to cope with learning a “new” language.

But the fact remains that learning to code in the .Net way will be a long time-consuming task. There will be many twists and turns as understanding grows and many “blind alleys” explored. It is the time wasting blind-alleys that are best avoided, and this is best achieved by “knowing where we are going” from the outset.

Visualizing what is going on behind the scenes is not essential. But software tooling and code analysis will increasingly extract the statistics of running code, across languages, coding styles and so on. To use such tools effectively and to best advantage and correctly interpret those statistics, it will be essential to see the “behind the scenes picture”.

My advice therefore, to new comers, is to try, as you progress up the dot Net learning curve is to bear this “3-D visualization” in mind and, if possible, see your code in that light.

There are many, many more immediate benefits to seeing your code this 3-D way. Effort in this respect will not be wasted.

Terry