Slow typing in Visual Studio

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
ic2

Post by ic2 »

The last view times I worked briefly in X# I didn't have the problem, but now I have it too:

"We've noticed that extension 'XSharp Visual Studio Project System' is slowing typing performance."

I can add to this that Show completion list after a character is typed is switched off. It took seconds before some result of what I typed appeared. I reset VS and it worked again. Just like Kees noticed: it seems that it all works well for a while but after some time working it stops.

Any news about this?

(PS: using 2.7Fox + 2.7 a patch)

Dick
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Dick,

Yes, I know Robert has done a lot of work in this area, hopefully the improvements in the new build will make a big difference for you as well as for everybody else. It's not ready yet, but hopefully in the next weeks,
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
boonnam

Post by boonnam »

After I installed 2.10 I am experiencing this problem quite often. Most of the time VS would hang for few seconds. Few times it would last few minutes. I didn't experience this issue at all with 2.9.
boonnam

Post by boonnam »

Additional information. This long un-response issue occur when I put the mouse cursor at the end of a line with #IFDEF/#ENDIF and hit enter button. This is only happening for the latest version 2.10 for me.
HansjoergP

Post by HansjoergP »

The Issue with #ifdef #endif we have also
Chris

Post by Chris »

Boonnam/Hansjoerg,

Does this problem happen with ALL #ifdef / #endif directives? Or is it with specific ones? Does it make a difference if the define actually exists or not?
Do they have to do with big source files, or is it a general problem? Maybe you could share a file where this happens?
Just trying to find a way to reproduce the problem, because I made several attempts here, also with relatively large projects and didn't manage so far.

TIA

Chris Pyrgas

chris(at)xsharp.eu
HansjoergP

Post by HansjoergP »

I can send you a file. for me it seems to happen on every position in the file (650 lines) if I insert an #ifdef.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Hansjoerg,

Thanks for the file, I could see the problem with it and have passed it to Robert for fixing.

Chris Pyrgas

chris(at)xsharp.eu