Combobox & automatic change of text input?

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
FFF

Post by FFF »

Guys,
i use a commercial C# app, which has a combobox to enter text for searching a table.
Now, i enter e.g. "Preuss" - and the control changes this automatically to "Preuß". I enter "Preuß" and it get's changed to "Preuss", i didn't manage to find a consistent way of behaviour.
Confronted the maker and got back: "this does the control automatically, we can't influence this."
I have zero experience with Winform.Control.Combobox - can that be a valid response?
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Karl,
System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox contains the possibility for custom autocomplete, so it should depend on the programmer what would be to be completed.
But maybe he has used some form of a customcontrol, either 3rd party or developed by someone inhouse.
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
Terry

Post by Terry »

Hi Karl

No - that is nonsense.

I don't have a double s key on my keypad. Possibly something to do with your keyboard, Font settings etc.

If it was the control itself everyone using it, everywhere would have flagged up a problem.

Terry
FFF

Post by FFF »

Thx Wolfgang,
custom-autocomplete was my idea, too. I doubt this is a special implementation, as in this case it's really only used as stupid textinput...
Wouldn't have complained, but they treat my finding as "wish", while i see it as "bug" - as it controls the result of a query, so retrieving, often wrong, subsets, i think it qualifys a priority A++ B)
Regards
Karl
FFF

Post by FFF »

Sorry, Terry,
but equally nonsense ;) - if my keyboard would cause this, it would do this for all these controls on my machine - what's not the case.
No, i'm confident they'll fix this, was only bothererd, as they didn't seem to realize the brisance of the wrong implementation...
Regards
Karl
Karl-Heinz

Post by Karl-Heinz »

Hi Karl,

What happens when you enter "Franzi" ? Does it change to "Franziska", and "Franziska" changes to "Franzi" ?

SCNR :-)

Seriously: Searching for "autocomplete combobox problems umlaute" show several hits. Here´s a link that describes a similar "ss" -> "ß" problem, but no solution.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum ... ualbasicde

maybe one of the other hits is more helpfull ...

regards
Karl-Heinz