Just a sample of some Foxpro COMMANDs

This forum is meant for questions about the Visual FoxPro Language support in X#.

Karl-Heinz

Post by Karl-Heinz »

Guys,

No, that´s no (yet) working X# code, i just explored what my old Foxpro offers ;-). Please take a closer look at the picture mask that´s needed to make a LEFT aligned currency symbol visible. Does VFP still show the same results ?

Code: Select all

CLEAR
SET TALK OFF

SET SEPARATOR TO "_"
SET POINT TO ";"

SET CURRENCY RIGHT TO " EUR"

* same as  
SET CURRENCY TO " EUR"
SET CURRENCY RIGHT

fValue = 1005.12

? fValue FUNCTION "$ 9,999.99"
?
? Transform ( fValue , "@$ 9,999.99" )
? fValue PICTURE "@$ 9,999.99"
?

* ----------------------

SET SEPARATOR TO "."
SET POINT TO ","

SET CURRENCY LEFT TO "EUR "

* same as  
SET CURRENCY TO "EUR "
SET CURRENCY LEFT

? fValue FUNCTION "$ 999 9,999.99"
?
? Transform ( fValue , "@$ 999 9,999.99" )
? fValue PICTURE "@$ 999 9,999.99"
?
? Set ( "Currency" )  
? Set ( "Currency" , 1 ) 
?
The results are:

Code: Select all

1_005;12 EUR

1_005;12 EUR
1_005;12 EUR

EUR 1.005,12

EUR 1.005,12
EUR 1.005,12

LEFT
EUR 
regards
Karl-Heinz
Jeff Stone

Post by Jeff Stone »

Hi Karl,

I'm just trying to understand your question/comment. Your code does, in fact, generate the listed output when run in VFP 9. Is that what you were asking?

Regards,
Jeff
Karl-Heinz

Post by Karl-Heinz »

Jeff Stone wrote:Hi Karl,

I'm just trying to understand your question/comment. Your code does, in fact, generate the listed output when run in VFP 9. Is that what you were asking?
Hi Jeff,

thanks for your input. Yes, that´s what i was asking for.

I supported in the 1990s a existing Fox app, and even managed it to create a new Fox app ;-) Since the X# DevTeam started to support VFP, i activated my Fox again, which now runs in a DosBox. I'm impressed by the high DOS -> VFP code compatibility rate.

regards
Karl-Heinz
Jeff Stone

Post by Jeff Stone »

Hi Karl,

I have found that VFP runs almost all former DOS foxpro code well. There are sometimes a few display bugs when you try running old code with @ say/get read statements. I was originally a Dbase II beta tester. Then DBase III/III+, then Clipper for speed and then switched to Visual Foxpro because the command window and interface was really simple for my staff to run basic queries on the fly. I have tried Harbour/HMG and found it to be 99% compatible for our larger applications but staff don't like the absence of the command window. I am hoping that as X# becomes more VFP compatible, a DBU type of utility can be constructed to give the same benefits as the VFP command window.

Regards,

Jeff
mainhatten

Post by mainhatten »

Jeff Stone wrote:I have found that VFP runs almost all former DOS foxpro code well. There are sometimes a few display bugs when you try running old code with @ say/get read statements.
Jeff,
compatibility of old @say/get can be reached for more than 95% if say/get is running fine in FPW, not FPD.
There are a few tricks/enhancements to inject in the screen generator and you can utilize OOP methods on forms running from 2.6 screen generator code. The level of backward compatibility you can reach is fantastic if you need to keep a couple of hundred forms but want new and better code patterns, for instance with helper objects housing general tasks for tweaking the old forms with.

Yes, more work to maintain compared to forms done with vfp GUI editor, but not recreating those already tested forms should leave a nice budget of H to draw from (if there still is a huge FPD or FPW app chugging along...)

regards
thomas