Problem: VS Integration problem (All about Text Editor)

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
rjpajaron

Post by rjpajaron »

Hello,

1. Mouseover over to a function, no flyout screen telling us on what assembly it is hosted.

2. Righclick > Go to definition does not work on function, even those functions that are hosted to current project.

3. When Text Editor have a horizontal splitter, go to combo box > class members, it always open on lower part of the horizontal split. But on C#, when upper portion of the split is active (which means, cursor is live on that one), go to combo box > class members will open that class members on that portion of the split. I do not know how to describe this. But, upper portion of horizontal split disable the Go To Defintion, it only enable Peek. So unlike the C# Text Editor.

I have so much pain managing large codebases right now. good thing, I almost memorized hundreds of functions and which assembly it was hosted. But sometimes, my memory betrayed me. So painful that I need to search each Solutions just to get the function sources.

I hope X# VS integration on Text Editor improved but above is painfully aweful. I have more complaints but this one I described are things that stressed me much.

Tell me my VS is broken. I can reinstall it.
rjpajaron

Post by rjpajaron »

One more thing:

Removing the horizontal split, there are instances that context menu > Go To Definition remains disabled.
robert

Post by robert »

Rene,
I am sorry to hear that you are having these problems.

For 1) and 2) we really need to see your solution to understand what the problem is.
For 3) This is something we have indeed not tested. We will have to look at this. Unfortunately none of this kind of functionality comes "for free". The fact that something works in C# does not mean that it will also work for other editors.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
rjpajaron

Post by rjpajaron »

Maybe a video.

Screen capture as a video. I will find ways.
rjpajaron

Post by rjpajaron »

rjpajaron wrote:One more thing:

Removing the horizontal split, there are instances that context menu > Go To Definition remains disabled.
But this is really annoying. I have to reopen the prg to get Context Menu > Go To Definition to get enabled again. Really was annoying, it also works sometimes. I think, it is the Splitter going up to close will get this Go To Definition not working. I will give you a video on this.

I believe you're using X# on VS heavily on X# development . If this behavior do not manifest on you, it means, there is something wrong with my VS or Solutions files? That is interesting.

But having the ability to know where the function is hosted on what Solutions > Project it is in; otherwise this will really took a lot of my time to manually search several solutions files to get multiple variations of the same functions that shares the same name. This is rare. My technique use is renamed the FUNCTIONS with Prefix from which Project files it is in. That way I can search it directly and look for its arguments I need to use.

If this behavior only impacted me, tell me what to do? Reinstall VS or anything to configure. Or my Windows 10? I am using Preview of 21-H1 right now.

I want to help you improve X# VS integration. I will find ways to produce that video because this really impacted my productivity.

I am not asking for 1 on 1 parity with C# integration level with VS. That is BS. What I want is similar Source Code Experience I got from VO Source Editor and better but not on same level of C#, which of kind of "surprise us if you can do it". Of course, I know VS integration is really painful in your side, as you have said in the past. and VS 2022 is coming.

Right now, I have to fight it. Mean: I need to do a lot of effort. I do not care about InttelliSense or any other things.

Frustrating but I need to move forward. More power to you!

Thanks for your reply.
rjpajaron

Post by rjpajaron »

Hi Robert,

I am just frustrated on Text Editor behavior with X#. I want to help to improve user experience on X# VS integration on Vs Text Editor. Let me see if I can produce video screen capture this week. I am so bz with X# and C# integration in our apps for next this week release or before end of May.

--

Rene

PS: I have also to deal with ReportPro 3 problem on another thread.
robert

Post by robert »

Rene,

You are really the first that reports issues with the split and the Navigation bar. The disabled Goto definition is related to this. I can reproduce that.
We'll look into the changes we need to make to handle the split in combination with the navigation bar.
I have already created a ticket for that:
https://github.com/X-Sharp/XSharpPublic/issues/641

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
rjpajaron

Post by rjpajaron »

Hello Robert,

Just updated my Windows 10 to 21H1 and it has no relevance whatsoever <g>.

I studied Win + G (Xbox Game Bar) and I can record my screen now without using third party app which I despised.

I am preparing my script on how to "direct" my show.

First, this is the first time since 1997 that I put all my files (Windows 10, Office, all app and source codes) on Drive C.

I upgraded my laptop SSD from pitiful 128 GB to 1 TB and I did not split into two volumes, instead I occupy the whole 1 TB as Drive C.

I hope there is no relevance on this one. Just in case, X# project system cannot handle SSD, I will be shock <g>. or Windows Security anti ransomware where I put several folder protected. But my source code folders are not protected at.

My frustration on VS Text Editor is an understatement. Sometimes, I want to edit on VS Code instead where it support VO like vertical and horizontal split on the same prg which VS does not support opening the same prg on the same instances of VS.

I have huge codebase and I have some methods and functions that are hundreds lines of code and I missed VO where it pop a flyout window on METHODS or FUNCTIONS arguments. Of course C# is much better. Right now, I want to where is the METHOD or FUNCTIONS resides, otherwise, I end up searching for it in 5 Solutions with contains 30+ projects each.

laptop screen wide but short vertical space is also painful. I know several share my sentiments, hence 16 or 15 laptop with taller screen is now in vogue. Well, I really wish to monitor on portrait mode. That beside the point. Hence, Peek and Go To Definition is my toy when I transverse very long codes.

Anyway, that is the story of frustration which I "blamed" X# in harmless way.
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Rene,
I don't know if that helps: Eizo has a 24" monitor witrh 1920x1920 resolution, it is an exact square.
The model on my desk is FlexScan EV2730Q.
Wolfgang
P.S. I had seen that in a videoconference with another programmer...
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
rjpajaron

Post by rjpajaron »

I am about to recording, but I need to give this flow of upcoming video <g>

FUNCTIONS:
1. Peek and Go To Definition won't work on Function, even those located on the same project.
2. Peek and Go To Definition won't work on method calls without SELF. SELF:METHODNAME - it works.
But METHODNAME, it won't.

Text Editor Horizontal Splitter:
1. Upper portion only support Peek, while Go To Definition is disabled.
2. When rolling the splitter down or up and the active split screen (where is mouse cursor at the moment) is the upper portion, Go To Definition remains disabled.
2. Only way to enable Go To Definition is to close the prg file and reopen.

Mouseover > flyout screen info screen.
1. It does not support function.
2. It does not support method without SELF. SELF:Method - it will work. Method only, no flyout.
sample of what I call flyout screen info
Screenshot 2021-05-11 160031.png
Screenshot 2021-05-11 160031.png (27.3 KiB) Viewed 319 times
Suggestion for mouseover > flyout screen info screen:
1. Must support Functions local to the current project. If getting info on functions on reference assembly is also possible, this is great.
2. Must also support on Methods and Functions are not local to current project to show parameters/arguments. It only support on class declaration. see attached photo.