New feature

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
robert

New feature

Post by robert »

We have received some requests if we could add the entity separator lines in the VS editor.
Today I have implemented that (and yes I am also working on performance improvements as promised)
Seperators.png
Seperators.png (32.33 KiB) Viewed 385 times
I have a few questions:
- Should this be "always on" or do you want to be able to enable/disable this
- As you can see in the image I am now visually including the XML comments before the entity and I am adding the separator line before the XML comments. Is this also what you would want to do.
Or should this also be an option ?

I know that XIDE does not put the separator line before the XML comments.

I would appreciate your feedback.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
xinjie

New feature

Post by xinjie »

I think it would be better to have a switch to control whether to show the entity separator lines or not.

A little extravagance: can I define the "format" of entity separator lines? For example: I like to use "*********************"
leon-ts

New feature

Post by leon-ts »

Robert,
My opinion is that it is necessary to give the option to enable/disable it and give the color of this dividing line to be adjusted. In this case, it will be possible to make it dim so that it is present on one side, and on the other side is not very conspicuous. Well, or completely turn it off if you don't like it.

Best regards,
Leonid
Best regards,
Leonid
robert

New feature

Post by robert »

Leonid,
I did not invent a new color for this. I am using the color that is defined in the VS color dialog for "Outlining Margin Vertical Rule". The C# editor support uses that same color.
I will indeed add an option to enable/disable this.
What about the XML comments?
Should the separator line be before that comments or between the comments and the method.
I consider the (optional) attributes as part of the method by the way.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
robert

New feature

Post by robert »

Xinjie
If you want *************** as delimiters then you can use that in your code of course.
The separators that I am talking about are "virtual".

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
FFF

New feature

Post by FFF »

robert wrote:Leonid,
I consider the (optional) attributes as part of the method by the way.
+1
The idea of a separator is to optically bundle lines which "belong" to each other - and the /// certainly DON'T belong to the previous entity ;)
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
leon-ts

New feature

Post by leon-ts »

robert wrote: Should the separator line be before that comments or between the comments and the method.
My opinion is definitely before the comment. After all, a comment is essentially a part of one whole with the function it describes.

Best regards,
Leonid
Best regards,
Leonid
Serggio

New feature

Post by Serggio »

Sure, the feature is nice! And definitely before the XML comments as those are part of function definition.
Chris

New feature

Post by Chris »

Robert,

I wish you didn't give me challenges at 40C, but now also XIDE (optionally) puts the separator before the XML tags :)
Btw, I personally prefer showing the line separators to be optional. Always showing them before the XML tags is probably fine.
Oh, and very nice new feature those entity separators in VS! I know it's a lot more complicated implementing this in VS than it was doing it in XIDE.
XIDE_entity_sep.png
XIDE_entity_sep.png (118.93 KiB) Viewed 383 times
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
VR

New feature

Post by VR »

An option to enable/disable his feature would be nice. But the default IMHO should be enabled.
And since the XML Comments are for the following method, the separator should be before the XML Comments.

Best regards
Volkmar