Hello

We encourage new members to introduce themselves here. Get to know one another and share your interests.
elibrighton

Hello

Post by elibrighton »

I have just signed up for X#. I am a Visual Objects developer and am interested in learning how to upgrade an existing project from VO 2.7 to X#.
wriedmann

Hello

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Eli,

currently the development team is working on the runtimes for X#. With these runtimes you can compile your VO libraries with X# and then your own program code.

Other than this, Chris Pyrgas is working on a Xporter tool that reads Visual Objects AEFs and creates both an XIDE and a Visual Studio project.

Personally, I was able to move a simple VO application to X# and I'm using this one nearly every day, but with the Vulcan.NET runtime and the X# compiled VO libraries.

To explain the difference between runtime (that will be written in X# by the development team) and the VO libraries:
- the runtime is the equivalent to the VO DLLs VO28RUN.DLL and the RDDs. Since you don't have the source code to these DLLs, you cannot recmpile them, and these are written in C++.
- the VO libraries are all the VO28*.dll except the VO28RUN.DLL. These are written in VO itself and you have the source to them in the SDK subfolder of your VO directory. Since they are in VO, you can move them to X# and recompile they as .NET libraries (the X# development team cannot do this for you because of copyright issues).

When the runtime is ready, there will be descriptions available how to proceed, both by the X# development team and by other people. You can be assured that I will move my own VO applications to X# whenever possible - I have a lot of them, most in development, and some relatively large, and I need them in .NET to add new functionalities.

In the meantime I would recommend to start to play with X# and learn how to use X# in the .NET world - it is an entirely new world with a lot of new concepts, and when you take confidence, you will discover a lot of fun in programming. Some things that were hard or impossible to do with VO are easy to accomplish. You will find samples over samples (most in C# but more or less easily to translate to X#), and a lot of open source or commercial third party tools are available.

And: the community here is very helpful and the development team offers an invaluable support.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
bob

Hello

Post by bob »

Eli,

If you are in a hurry and can't wait until the X# team has finished creating the runtime then there is also the option that you download the evaluation version of Vulcan from the Vulcan website and then use the Vulcan runtime until the X# runtime us ready.
I am not sure what the Vulcan eval license allows in terms of redistributing your apps but that is something you can check yourself.

Bob
elibrighton

Hello

Post by elibrighton »

Thank you for your warm welcome to X#. I'll keep an eye out on the forum for information on the runtimes for X# and also from Chris Pyrgas.

Eli Brighton