Missing MetaData .dll files

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
FdeRaadt

Post by FdeRaadt »

Hello Everyone,

I just recently started using X# for converting small VO projects.

I have a problem while exporting multiple AEF's from a single folder.
The problem is that for some reason the required DLL's are missing after a fresh export. ( look at screenshot )

If I export each AEF individually this problem does NOT occur which leaves me confused at how the VO-Xporter client operates.

I have studied the documentation for a bit but couldn't found what I was looking for.
For settings I have disabled the RemovedClassClause.

Does anybody know why this keeps happening?

p.s this is my first time posting so please be mean.

Frank
Attachments
MissingMetadataDLL.png
MissingMetadataDLL.png (118.33 KiB) Viewed 276 times
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Frank,

It looks like the problem is actually only one, the compiler cannot find the two .ico files when trying to compile the first library and fails. Because of that, the dll is not generated of course, but the VS tries to build the rest of the libraries which depend on this base library, so they also fail. If you fix the first two problems (double click on them and adjust the path to the correct location of the files), then the first library should compile with no errors and the rest should follow.

Not sure why you there's a problem with those icon files in the first place though, possible a bug in VO-Xporter. Could you send me the aef of this base library (or all aefs if you'd like) to have a look into this?
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Chris,

No that's no bug (Frank works for us so I know) .
What happened is that we copied the VO repo directory from the main development machine but the icons directory was not updated with the latest added icons. That way, VO won't know unless the code is touched and X# after the export was the first to find the missing icons.

I didn't realize that the missing icons caused all compiles to fail and was wondering how Frank should proceed documenting errors (our policy is that we try to solve the first wave of errors in VO) when no other error is given. Hopefully that will show when Frank copies the 2 missing icons.

Dick
FdeRaadt

Post by FdeRaadt »

Hi Dick and Chris,

It turns out that my problem originates out of missing icon files instead of weird occurences in X#. It baffles me that a few icons can break a solution like that but that seems to be my lack of understanding of the concept. I would like to thank both of you for your time.

Frank
robert

Post by robert »

Frank,
In theory we could change X# to detect missing resource files and replace with an empty file and then change the error to a warning.
And maybe that is not such a bad idea.
What do others think ?

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Robert,

Probably as an option? It should not be so that an empty icon is inserted and eventually nothing is displayed because of that missing icon?

Back to our conversion problem: after adding the icons Frank got exactly the same error messages as in the picture, only the 2 icon errors were gone.

That means a VO->X# conversion is now impossible because:
1 When Frank converts one singe aef/library, at some point he gets 1000's of errors, most because of missing references from other libs/aef's , or
2 when he converts a set of AEF's, he gets no error to work on, except the Metadata....dll not found error.

What we need is the errors caused by the VO compiler not being strict enough, constructions which won't work in .Net, VO. Then we can either solve those in VO, or make notes what to do when we convert for real. Then this process will take considerably shorter compared to when we all do it for the first time. It is not possible to stop the daily maintenance, now in VO, for a long time, so we prepare this.

We do not want 1000's of missing reference errors and only 1 metadata error is not going to help us proceed either.

What to do?

Dick
robert

Post by robert »

Dick,
What I usually do is:
- determine the dependencies between the projects and find out what the "base" library is (the one that all the others depend on)
- Unload the other projects in the solution (right click - unload) and then build the solution.
- When the base library compiles then Reload the next library and so on.

That way you will only see the problems from the library that you are working on.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Robert,
In theory we could change X# to detect missing resource files and replace with an empty file and then change the error to a warning.
I'm not really sure that this will help.
Maybe the Xporter should check that and ask eventually for an alternative path, and eventually check the existence, and change the referencing file.
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it