Menu font

Public support forum for peer to peer support with related to the Visual Objects and Vulcan.NET products
OhioJoe

Menu font

Post by OhioJoe »

Is there a way to enlarge the Font size in the Menu class? Using VO 2.8. What about other default font sizes? Everything defaults to 8-point.

I tried changing the following section in CAVOWED.INF but to no avail.

[StdProperties]
;**** Types
FONT=FONTSYSTEM8,FONTMODERN8,FONTMODERN10,FONTMODERN12,FONTSWISS8,FONTSWISS10,FONTSWISS12,FONTSWISS14,FONTSWISS18,FONTSWISS24,FONTROMAN8,FONTROMAN10,FONTROMAN12,FONTROMAN14,FONTROMAN18,FONTROMAN24

If there's no way in VO, can it be done in X# / XIDE ?
Joe Curran
Ohio USA
robert

Menu font

Post by robert »

Joe
You are not supposed to change that in your app.
The user can choose his/her own font size in the display preferences in windows,

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
OhioJoe

Menu font

Post by OhioJoe »

Is there a .Net way of doing it? In other words, make it device-independent. Should I try a class other than the X# Menu ?
Joe Curran
Ohio USA
Terry

Menu font

Post by Terry »

Joe

I am not sure which fonts you are referring to. VO for me is a distant memory. But I am assuming this question is a continuance of your questions in the "Beginners Example" where I made the assumption (perhaps wrongly) that you were referring to aspects of your own applications.

I will make those same assumptions here. If I am wrong don't bother to read further.

I know there is some confusion about Fonts. But a .Net program is inherently device-independent. Not only that it is indepenent of device configurations.

As I said before your .Net program locks itself into it's hardware host. To be more precise it locks itself into it's host. Either your own development machine or your users'.

Thus it locks into both the hardware and some software on the host.

That "software on the host" includes Fonts which must be there. Windows is distributed with a number of Standard Fonts which will be present on any Windows machine.

Problems come about when you distribute a program which require some non-standard font. If that font is not found then Windows itself makes some assumption as to what font to use. It has nothing to help in making that choice so it becomes a blind guess (at best some educated guess).

C# uses Unicode. It is members of the Unicode character set that are embodied in your program/application.

This is all part and parcel of ensuring total independence of your application from any user configurations.

Terry
wriedmann

Menu font

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Joe,
in WPF you can do that, but AFAIK in Windows Forms it is not possible without an OwnerDraw menu (and with OwnerDraw it should also be possible in VO).
I'm not sure if that works with SEUIXP.
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it