Who is using Visual Studio 2017 for Universal Apps?

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
ic2

Post by ic2 »

I've asked a similar question in the NG too but maybe this forum as a better coverage.

I am unable to finish installing VS 2017 (Community). Especially it goes wrong on this:

Package 'Win10SDK_10.0.14393.795,version=10.0.14393.79501' failed to install.

After an update, this same message changed from version 14393 to 10.0.15063.15 but the result is the same. Also when I separately install the SDK it ends with a directory which couldn't be created (because it is already there...). VS works for regular projects but I can not open or create Universal Apps. Many users seem to have this problem; I have seen the question multiple times and against 100 users follow the several open questions which do not get a useful reply from VS development. Before I installed VS 2017, I did a a W10 re-installation with the Media Creation Tool which solved some upgrade problems for W10 and an app so I expect the environment to be pretty "clean".

What I wonder is if anyone here has attempted the same installation (see picture) and succeeded (the current screen does show the installation size as --- instead of the amount of GB, but I have seen this working previously. But you can't expect VS installers to keep working correctly on what did work before, can you....)
VS2017InstallationScreen.JPG
VS2017InstallationScreen.JPG (112.12 KiB) Viewed 307 times
See also my post on the https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/40056/the-product-failed-to-install-wed-like-a-serious-s.htmlVS developers site.

Dick
Phil Hepburn

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi Dick,

Okay then - I will try and help, as my recent VS 2017 Community version does let me make a new project of type Universal, as you can see below in the images I just made for you.

The only obvious thing that I did, and presumably you did not do, was install the full (complete) workload. For other reasons I will not go into here, I always install the complete VS set of offerings / options.

Can you try to make a new install for Community, selecting each of the workload options ?

At the moment I even have this VS instance open, as well as another which is the Enterprise version of 2017, and all VS are the latest updates - using the VS installer.

Good Luck,
Phil.
P.S. FYI I never have to mess with folders at all, ever. I just install what is sent to me, but install the whole thing.

Here is some image detail which may help in some ways :-
DickUni_01.jpg
DickUni_01.jpg (33.97 KiB) Viewed 307 times
DickUni_02.jpg
DickUni_02.jpg (48.99 KiB) Viewed 307 times
DickUni_03.jpg
DickUni_03.jpg (42.74 KiB) Viewed 307 times
DickUni_04.jpg
DickUni_04.jpg (37.51 KiB) Viewed 307 times
DickUni_05.jpg
DickUni_05.jpg (58.18 KiB) Viewed 307 times
Fingers crossed for you .............
FFF

Post by FFF »

Phil Hepburn wrote:The only obvious thing that I did, and presumably you did not do, was install the full (complete) workload. For other reasons I will not go into here, I always install the complete VS set of offerings / options.
Well, you can't blame him - wasn't "slim install", "install only what you want/need to use" one of the biggest selling talks associated with V17? <g,d&r>
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
Phil Hepburn

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Karl,

As so often, you are right ! :evil:

However, this was the only reason I could see why my install worked and Dick's did not. Of cause we don't know what else he did to install non-default paths etc.

I don't get any real issues with VS, and never did, so I can't be any more helpful. And many different versions seem to live happily side by side. Problems seem to come for others when they try to remove bits of earlier installs.

I will try and install it on my laptop for Cologne and see if I can force an issue or two there.

Regards,
Phil.
Phil Hepburn

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Dick, Karl, and friends,

I have done some more trials with VS 2017 Community.

On my clean laptop I have installed the Community version of VS 2017 and for only one workload, that for the Universal apps.

The install went OK and seems 100%, and I have started a Universal project.

The only place that you could have made a different input to that I made, was at the folder option for install. I always let the default do its bit - as I did this time.

Dick, did you change the install directory / folder ?

I was going to try for you as a test - BUT - the C:Temp folder choice gave me a red cross in the install dialog box so I kept to the default.

Can you try and re-install the Comm version with a default folder ?

Hope this helps a little bit :P

Regards,
Phil.
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Phil,

Thanks for your input. I did a standard installation although I skipped some unused options. In the meantime I've done the same on my laptop and there it works. I am not sure why; the laptop is setup more or less the same and on the desktop where it failed I refreshed Windows using the Media Creation Tool so I would expect it to be pretty "clean".

Not sure what to do next. I can again try to use one of my "incidents" but so far nobody at Microsoft helped me with anything there; standard reply is that whatever I ask is "not there department".

The most likely scenario will be that I de-install VS2015 Professional when my Action Pack ends this month, and then hope that I can install VD Community 2015 again.

Dick
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Dick,

a "refresh" is not a reinstall. Sometimes Windows gets corrupted, some setting or some files, and can be repaired only by a complete new install.

Personally, I try to keep my machine clean and to install only what I need, making experiments on other machines. And until now I was able to keep my machine working...

But I have seen such an issue not only with Windows, but also with Linux, so this is a common problem of the now very complex operating systems.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
ic2

Post by ic2 »

The re-installation fixed 2 other long lasting problems: the fact that W10 didn't 14393.969 (also a Install failed) and the fact that the Universal App Desktop Bridge - to post regular Windows in the Store didn't work anymore, not even after a re-installation. So I hoped that it would also fix the VS 2017 installation problem. Although it works on the laptop, and not on my desktop, it seems to be a more common problem. I've currently posted is as an issue within my Action Pack - if they solve it would be the first time this year. I currently didn't even find my incident back on their website despite it being confirmed by mail. So I chatted Microsoft. They said "It should be there, maybe there was some kind of maintenance/update on the site which caused that" and I should call Microsoft in Amsterdam.

Current status is that someone 'scaled up' the seemingly lost issue and I can expect a call today.....

Dick
Phil Hepburn

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Dick - Good Luck with MS - I recognise your story, about not being in their knowledge area or whatever! Had one myself less than a week ago and ended up sorting myself.

Now then, On the Universal apps issue / topic, please be aware that I have been using the Template in C# and that X# still needs some improvements on the level of integration, and a larger selection of Templates to choose from is one area we are all waiting for.

So for now Universal apps in C#, unless you are a genius or a guru :whistle:

Personally, I am convinced that all VS installation (different versions etc.) are all independent and faith in uninstalling a 2015 version solving your problem is NOT very hopeful I fear.

It is something to do with folders in your Windows 10 system, an issue caused by another app.

What about noting the folder name and path the default install is to use, and then go outside the installer and make sure that this folder is totally removed ?

Regards,
Phil.
Wales, UK.
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Phil,

It looks like you are completely correct! VS 2017 now works, and this is why I think you are:

Today Mrs. Chaurasia from MS Support called, took over my system and did the following:
Uninstalled the earlier versions of Win SDK
Reboot the machine.
Installed the check for updates

Renamed the folders:
C:ProgramDataWindows App Certification Kit
C:Program Files (x86)Windows Kits

Installed the Win SDK successfully on the machine
Repairing the VS 2017 Community

This did not solve it completely. The error changed to Package 'Microsoft.SmartDevice.Connectivity,version=15.0.26315.0' failed to install.
It says: Details
MSI: C:ProgramDataMicrosoftVisualStudioPackagesMicrosoft.SmartDevice.Connectivity,version=15.0.26315.0WPSDK_en.msi, Properties: REBOOT=ReallySuppress ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT=1 MSIFASTINSTALL="7"

I found these to be linked with Phone Tools and performed the same trick on the directories involved for this.
First I renamed C:ProgramDataMicrosoftPhone ToolsCoreCon12.0 to !12.0.
Then I got a message that it didn't have sufficient rights etc in the directory.
After that I renamed C:ProgramDataMicrosoftPhone Tools to !Phone Tools and then it finally installed without errors.

It looks like the new VS installer could do with a bit of overhaul & testing....

Dick