RC.EXE Failed and dbserver

This forum is meant for examples of X# code.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

My first try:

I have the latest versions of XIDE and xSharp installed (No vulcan). Created a new project "Standard VO MDI" -> I assume I need Vulcan installed? I get the following Compiler messsage:

Compiling native resources for MdiApp1...
Failed running RC.EXE

Next I started a project XSharp. Tried to get a dbserver installed with an existing db-file. Import does not work and also to rename dbserver1 is not possible. Looks like I am doing something wrong. Or do I need Vulcan installed?

Next try: Started VS Community 2015 with a new xSharp project. Compiling & running works. Where and how do I link db-files? Do i need to connect through odbc adapter?

Maybe I am still attached to the "Look & Feel" of VO and the easy use of dbserver. Is there something like a VO "South Sea" example?
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Michael,

unfortunately there are missing more pieces:

- the VO runtime including the macrocompiler and the RDDs are "in the work", actually in development
- even if they are finished, the X# group cannot give you a X# version of the VO libraries (they are copyrighted by CA), and only if you have the sources of theses class libraries you will be able to recompile them with X#

Personally, I would recommend to start freshly with X# without DBserver, maybe using SQLite or another SQL server like Firebird. Or do you have to maintain VO applications?

For new applications, consider DBF to be a dead end (this is a confession from a DBF fan like me).

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Michael,

Yes, at this moment in order to use dbfs, you need the vulcan runtime dlls. No need to install vulcan, it's only the vulcan runtime dlls that are needed. This restriction will be removed later in the year, when we release the x# runtime.

Regarding the SDK libraries (which you need in order to use high-level classes like DBServer), we are writing a tool that reads the SDK code from your existing VO (any version) installation in the folder CAVOxxVOLIB and converts it into a x# project. This tool is 90% complete right now, we should be able to release it in the coming weeks.

Regarding the XIDE issues you found (thanks for reporting them!) :

- The error about rc.exe is a bug, fortunately very easy to fix, will do that for the next ver.
- About Import/Export in the DBServer editor, I had forgotten about them, will enable them in the next ver
- To rename the DBServer, you need to go to the Properties window and change the name of the dbserver there (in the "Name" property which appears first in the list). After saving your changes, everything should be updated with the new name

hth!

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
Phil Hepburn

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Frank / Michael,

If this is a home / personal project then I would recommend you use Microsoft SQL Server Express - its a FREE full version of their standard server app.

The reason for doing this is that there are many more working samples to copy and use.

This includes my own eNotes and the "ClickStart" eNotes I write.

I would reserve SQLite for small platforms - I used it for WinRT tablets and Windows phone. But with a desktop / laptop (and even powerful Surface tablets) the Express version of SQL Server is the way to go.

I believe my Cologne samples just work out of the box with the Express install. Or they di a few weeks back ;-0)

Hope this helps,
phil.
Wales, UK.
beerhand

Post by beerhand »

Hi Phil,

started C# with SQL lite then trying to use Access db as the Backend. I think I am doing something really wrong. I do not even get a simple Master-Detail to work (w/Delete, Append). I think I need to get first the SQL fundamentals digestet. As I have a little bit of time this might be the way to go.

Where do i find your example? Could locate it in the "Download" area.

Thanks,
Michael
beerhand

Post by beerhand »

Hi Chris,

thanks. As I am not in a hurry I will wait...

Michael
beerhand

Post by beerhand »

Hi Wolfgang,

I am not really suprised to hear that dbase is a dead end. I read the article "Why XSharp" but must ask the question "Why XSharp" and not for instance C# if I anyhow need to use SQL?

Thanks,
Michael
lumberjack

Post by lumberjack »

Michael,

Because you already know the VO/XBase language syntax, you can almost copy and paste 90% + of your VO business logic code and it will compile in .NET

Johan
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Michael,

apart from the lot of old VO applications that need to be ported to .NET with X# (and for these X# is the only choice - fortunately we have this one), I have several (personal) reasons:
  • I like the Xbase language much more than C#, personally I feel the code is better to read
  • I prefer to have the same language for my old applications and for my new ones (based on WPF/MVVM)
  • The X# language has some unique features like the preprocessor or a short property syntax. Specially the preprocessor is a killer feature
  • Don't forget the (unfortunately not ready) macrocompiler - it is another unique feature
  • as last point I would put the superior support with direct contact to the development team that adds requested features in virtually no time
These are the main reasons for me - and only for new applications. For older VO applications I have no other choice, and therefore I'm very happy that this choice exists.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
wolfgang@riedmann.it
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Michael,

and I forgot another important thing (at least for me): even my new applications sometimes will need to access old DBF data.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
wolfgang@riedmann.it