Missing DLLs

We encourage new members to introduce themselves here. Get to know one another and share your interests.
Alf

Missing DLLs

Post by Alf »

Hi to all,
another simple question from a simple man. In VO: When a DDL is missing on a customers machine (i.e. resulting from incorrect installation), I get a message box showing the name of the respective DLL. But in X# nothing happens. Therefore it's not easy for me to find out the reason. I am sure there is a simple trick to solve this?
Alf
ic2

Missing DLLs

Post by ic2 »

Hello Alf,

I asked the same question earlier, see the link below. Bottom line is that there's not a simple trick but an error handler could detect some but not all missing DLL's. I consider that a big design flaw in .Net but all responders were very happy with delayed loading, the reason why missing DLL's aren't detected immediately, otherwise the slow starting .Net programs would even start slower, and that there's no (guaranteed/clear) message that a DLL is missing is apparently considered not a problem by most.

See:

https://www.xsharp.eu/forum/public-prod ... ries#19516

Dick
FFF

Missing DLLs

Post by FFF »

Alf,
if it's "your" installation, the solution should be obvious, keep a list of (to be) installed files, either check at startup, or offer an external "service routine", when the app won't start.
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
Chris

Missing DLLs

Post by Chris »

Guys,

Not sure if this can be considered a "simple" solution, but the system event log should contain the information about what caused this fault.

Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu