Why do I need to close X# written programs on installing a new version?

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
ic2

Post by ic2 »

When I install a new X# version, the installer detects currently running programs originally written in X# saying these are using files about to be updated.

But that running program doesn't use any files from C:Program Files (x86)XSharpbin (it runs fine when I remove this path and start from a DOS box in the my program directory, containing all DLL's). Even when I would install a new X# version, which I often skip anyway, my existing programs need to keep working with the old X# DLL's, and as far as I can remember, they do.

Why/how does the installer detect X# written programs?

Dick
robert

Post by robert »

Dick,

Most likely this program is using assemblies installed in the GAC.
And the installer wants to remove the old DLLs from the GAC and replace them with newer versions.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Thanks Robert,

Can I prevent the program using the GAC? As you know I hate the GAC and this is another reason.
E.g. there's a good chance that I want to keep using my X# written production programs with the 2.7 DLL's while working with or only testing a X# 2.9. That would be impossible if the X# based program uses the GAC.

This has never been a problem with VO. Is installing DLL's in the GAC something you can determine and if so, can't you just make this optional or not install there anyway?

Dick
robert

Post by robert »

Dick,

Installing the X# Runtime DLLs into the GAC is an option in the X# installer.
If you do NOT do that then you must make sure that all the necessary DLLs (also the ones that you do not explicitly reference, such as the XSharp.RDD and the XSharp.Macrocompiler) are also available in the BIN folder of your app.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Robert,
robert wrote: Installing the X# Runtime DLLs into the GAC is an option in the X# installer.
Ah indeed! Stupid I overlooked that.

I will de-install my current version reinstall it without GAC and keep doing that for future version.

Thanks!

Dick